Good recorder

Zo

Hi my dear friends , as usual i'm looking for your inputs on a good not too expensive recorder to record outside (stereo ) with an easy way to transfert files and with an onboard battery (that can be recharged)

usual supsect would be zoom or tascam , but so many models ....

Couting on you guyz .... i just want to sample natural sounds  ....no library better than God's Creation  ;) 

• Like 4

I've got both the Zoom H1n and Tascam DR-05x.  Both get the job done.  H1n is easier to carry around easier to use.  DR-05x has a more solid build and feels more durable and can use higher storage sdxc cards.

Can't go wrong with either.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nick Blanc said:

I also use a Zoom H1N. Carry it with me in my backpack during the day. But it basically fits in my jeans pocket. I was pleasantly surprised. I feels cheap and plastic, but I recorded pouring a beer in a glass and you could hear it fizzing very clearly. Great.

Sound quality ? pro enougth for production use ?  Stereo field  ?

Just now, Niky Serrano said:

You need batteries, and I suppose that you could use rechargeable batteries as well

no model with lithium built in battery or some ?

4 minutes ago, Nick Blanc said:

I also use a Zoom H1N. Carry it with me in my backpack during the day. But it basically fits in my jeans pocket. I was pleasantly surprised. I feels cheap and plastic, but I recorded pouring a beer in a glass and you could hear it fizzing very clearly. Great.

I have the Zoom H1 (no"n").  Older model that I have had for several years.  It still works great, but it is made of the damned "soft-ish" plastic that was all the rage back then, so it is sticky now.  BTW,  I have found that you can re-hab some of the sticky plastic by scrubbing it with rubbing alcohol.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Brian Lawler said:

I have the Zoom H1 (no"n").  Older model that I have had for several years.  It still works great, but it is made of the damned "soft-ish" plastic that was all the rage back then, so it is sticky now.  BTW,  I have found that you can re-hab some of the sticky plastic by scrubbing it with rubbing alcohol.

is the "n" metal ?

5 minutes ago, Zo said:

Sound quality ? pro enougth for production use ?  Stereo field  ?

no model with lithium built in battery or some ?

So, the body is plastic. Which makes it very very light. The microphones are metal. There are 2 so you record in stereo. But since they are positioned richt next to each other, there is no real stereofield. But I think all recorders have this. It operates on batteries, and they go a very long way. You can change the sample rate for recording. I think you can use it in productions. Depends on your source ultimately. A friend of mine uses a H4n for professional use (interviews, radio and podcasts).

See picture for a realistic view of its size.

PXL_20230117_211614659.jpg

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Nick Blanc said:

So, the body is plastic. Which makes it very very light. The microphones are metal. There are 2 so you record in stereo. But since they are positioned richt next to each other, there is no real stereofield. But I think all recorders have this. It operates on batteries, and they go a very long way. You can change the sample rate for recording. I think you can use it in productions. Depends on your source ultimately. A friend of mine uses a H4n for professional use (interviews, radio and podcasts).

See picture for a realistic view of its size.

PXL_20230117_211614659.jpg

Seems exellent , i'm fortunate to have a very lively garden in my house thks to the fact that i try to print the less human impact on it .... (square gardens and all : i hate those ...i want nature) , anyway the Zoom seems exellent to also carry it when i go at work ect ....  i might do some recording and do a library (will share it to ya friends) 

Need this for my chill music projects ....

For just recording outdoor sounds it will do fine. Keep in mind that it uses an SD card (I think most do). Only downside I noticed is when you record when it is really quite, the flimsy plastic body makes noise (like the buttons if you brush over them or if you shake it). That noises gets recorded too.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Nick Blanc said:

For just recording outdoor sounds it will do fine. Keep in mind that it uses an SD card (I think most do). Only downside I noticed is when you record when it is really quite, the flimsy plastic body makes noise (like the buttons if you brush over them or if you shake it). That noises gets recorded too.

yep i think it needs to be layed or fixed on some support .... usb transfert to computer ? or sd removal only ?