GAMEBOI Available Now! UDS: $40. SDS: $20. The Ultimate Chiptune Collection from Amazing Handheld Consoles

cclarry

Gameboi? Did they run that past a trademark attorney (rhetorical question; it's a clear infringement on Nintendo's trademark,  changing a letter doesn't stop it from being a trademark violation). Also, yesterday I joked after seeing the teaser you posted that this would be ultra deep sampled and there is indeed an ultra deep sampled version.  I'm only surprised it's not called "Intimate Gameboi" or "Emotional Gamboi," but there's probably patches with those names! 

I do dig the Gameboy sounds and for anyone else who does (and owns the full version of KONTAKT) you should download Impact Soundworks Super Audio Boy KONTAKT library. I love it and it is free/donationware. 

https://impactsoundworks.com/product/super-audio-boy/

I used Super Audio Boy in my cover of Cars I did last year (it comes in at 1:44) as kind of an Easter egg to amuse my wife,  who loved her Gameboy as a kid. 

https://on.soundcloud.com/os2se

Edited by PavlovsCat

3 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

Gameboi? Did they run that past a trademark attorney (rhetorical question; it's a clear infringement on Nintendo's trademark,  changing a letter doesn't stop it from being a trademark violation).

I guess it sounds better/less dodgy than something like 'play mini-guy' though 😜

At 72.81GB(!) for the UDS version, I think it wins for largest library in that category.

3 minutes ago, antler said:

I guess it sounds better/less dodgy than something like 'play mini-guy' though 😜

At 72.81GB(!) for the UDS version, I think it wins for largest library in that category.

8Dio/SoundPaint are pretty good at delivering the largest GBs per sample library for just about every category. But a 72.81GB  8bit sampled Gameboy library sounds like an April Fools joke to me.  The demos sound pretty good, especially the "Wow, Trills and Arps."  So 20 bucks for the SDS, sure. But what could ever be the need for utlra deep sampling and 127 velocity layers of an 8 bit lofi Gameboy library??? You're a developer. Can you explain that to me? 

I'm really happy with the ISW Super Audio Funboy free/donationware library I mentioned above and  it's a mere 100MB -- it's a blast to play with and I highly recommend everyone who owns the full version of KONTAKT and enjoys these kinds of sounds should go download it.   

Sorry - I'm afraid I can't explain where a 72GB Gameboy library would be more advantageous than the standard version. Apparently, the UDS "(Ultra Deep-Sampled) features all the natural variations that occur when you retrigger the same key. Designed for professionals."... But it's a Gameboy; I didn't think it's sound chip offered that many different variations of the same note. That said, I don't have the library, so can't say for sure.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Aren't these basic synth sounds just about any synth can recreate?

In theory, I suppose so: ISW has a Reaktor chiptunes instrument.

In reality, there's probably more to it than just the synth patch though - the hardware may have had certain characteristics to give it a special sound, as well the EQ profile that the speaker and console shell gave it; similar to how there are MegaDrive/Genesis sound chip emulators.

• Like 1