More than one instrument track reacting to MIDI without MIDI Echo on

tulamide

Yes, as the title says. It is a wierd issue, that I only have since the last update (which to my knowledge did no changes to midi input). Sometimes, when trying to record, the recording is done to the wrong track, and 2 plugins react simultanously (example, you record arm track 2, midi echo is auto on, track 2 is selected, but recording is done to track 1 and its audio played in addition to track 2 audio). I'm still trying to isolate the issue. It may be a coincidence, but so far I noticed this, when one of the two instruments involved have a midi out option (for example SynthMaster 2), although its use not activated. And I use VST3 synths only.
As a workaround I can set the falsely reacting one from "all inputs" to "external input" (choosing my controller).

One of your synths has MIDI output enabled, whilst another is set to "Omni" for it's input (it'll appear as "None" if it's not the active track), e.g:

Uncheck this:

image.png.1a08b21e2ce5c9b78850bd0b32be5006.png

Disabling the MIDI output unless you need it is recommended, however it might also be worth setting the MIDI input of your synth tracks to "All External Inputs" rather than "None" or "Omni". If they actually require input from  the output of another synth, then set the input to that only rather than "None" or "Omni".

image.png.25129646b6a8c41241abf8ea2cea62e4.png

Thanks for the quick answer. However, I said in my post

"when one of the two instruments involved have a midi out option (for example SynthMaster 2), although its use not activated"

It just reacts as if. And it only happens (so far), with VST3 instruments. I want to emphasize this, as your screenshot shows a VST2 plugin.
I also heard from two other users with the same issue, over at the Cakewalk user group on Facebook.

- VSTi only
- VST 3 format only
- MIDI out option exists, but is NOT activated
- MIDI echo is only active on the track that's armed for recording (and it's the only track armed), yet the recording goes to the other track.