Is there a way to remove all track instrument patches at one time? [SOLVED]

tdehan

Question

Is there a way to remove all track instrument patches at one time?  I have a MIDI file that is defaulting to TTS on all channels.  I want to replace all the instruments and not use TTS.  Is there a way to remove TTS on all the channels, still leaving the MIDI data so I can replace each track with a different instrument?  Hopefully I am explaing this well.

Thanks

Edited by tdehan

10 answers to this question

If it were me, I'd use the replace synth command.  We now have the option of replacing it on just the current instrument track or on all instrument tracks that use a specific synth.

• Replace Synth For All Tracks Using This Synth...
  • Replace Synth on This Track Only...

I generally use this from the right-click context menu in the track header pane. 

Update: I just tried and the replace for all tracks commands didn't work for me. So I tried it again and the option to replace all tracks wasn't there.  Just tried it again and now I only get the single Replace Synth... option.  

Edited by User 905133
to add an update; to add the specific wording used in the context menu

23 hours ago, User 905133 said:

If it were me, I'd use the replace synth command.  We now have the option of replacing it on just the current instrument track or on all instrument tracks that use a specific synth.

• Replace Synth For All Tracks Using This Synth...
  • Replace Synth on This Track Only...

I generally use this from the right-click context menu in the track header pane. 

Update: I just tried and the replace for all tracks commands didn't work for me. So I tried it again and the option to replace all tracks wasn't there.  Just tried it again and now I only get the single Replace Synth... option.  

I've never seen either option.  Where are these located?

3 hours ago, tdehan said:

I've never seen either option.  Where are these located?

On 1/16/2023 at 8:11 PM, User 905133 said:

I generally use this from the right-click context menu in the track header pane

Now I just get the Replace Synth... option when I right-click in the space between the Track Name and the double arrows that either expand or collapse the track width.**  In a test project, I just replaced three TTS-1 Instrument Tracks one at a time. The midi data I had on each successfully played on the replacement synth. 

**  image.png.694099adf7f8e74cbe3aa3d45417af29.png

Edited by User 905133
to add an image of where I right-clicked

I don't see where you are getting that.  When I click in the space you mention on the track instrument that is TTS that I want to replace with another instrument that is not TTS all I get is this:  Replace Synth for All Tracks Using This Synth.  

That is not going to work considering ALL the instrument tracks are using TTS.

Untitled.jpg

On 1/16/2023 at 7:49 PM, tdehan said:

Is there a way to remove all track instrument patches at one time?  I have a MIDI file that is defaulting to TTS on all channels.  I want to replace all the instruments and not use TTS.  Is there a way to remove TTS on all the channels, still leaving the MIDI data so I can replace each track with a different instrument?  [emphasis added]

I see now that you are using one instance of TTS-1 and multiple midi tracks.   Do you want to remove TTS-1 and just have the MIDI tracks with the MIDI data on them?  If so, just delete track 11. Then you can insert other instruments and point each track to those instruments one by one.

Sorry about the confusion.  I didn't understand what you meant by removing "all instrument patches" and wrongly assumed you wanted to replace TTS-1 on multiple instrument tracks.  Upon re-reading after seeing your project, I see now that all you wanted to do was just remove TTS-1 and keep the MIDI data that was on all of the separate MIDI tracks.

If you want to delete all program change commands that might be embedded in all of the tracks, I remember seeing a discussion of that. I seem to recall it involved using the Event List View, filtering the data so you just saw the program change commands, and then deleting them one by one. If you have the initial patch set for each MIDI track, you might have to change that for each midi track one by one.  

Edited by User 905133
various edits

That doesn't work.  After deleting track 11 each instrument is still assigned to TTS-1.  Also, deleting track 1 does nothing as well.  What's also weird is that if insert a new instrument track patched to the instrument I want and copy the MIDI data from one of the other tracks assigned to TTS-1, there is no sound produced from the new track.

Edited by tdehan

2 hours ago, tdehan said:

That doesn't work.  After deleting track 11 each instrument is still assigned to TTS-1. 

I was under the impression that you would be adding in other instruments and then assigning each midi track to a different instrument. 

If you want to delete the TTS-1 assignments, try going into the Synth Rack View and deleting TTS-1.  While in the Synth Rack View maybe you would want to insert the other instruments?  

2 hours ago, tdehan said:

. . .  if insert a new instrument track patched to the instrument I want and copy the MIDI data from one of the other tracks assigned to TTS-1, there is no sound produced from the new track. [emphasis added]

Did you try changing the output widget of the existing MIDI track to the new instrument (instead of copying the MIDI data)? As 57Gregy said:

6 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

Point the output of the MIDI track to a different synth.

• Output routing of MIDI track after TTS-1 was removed using Synth Rack View:
    • image.png.2570880de3b171dde6fce694fb15d9e4.png  
  • Output routing and Channel assignment immediately after I inserted a new software synth:  
    • image.png.4c8ac66accdae800457c89358ab2d147.png 

Live keyboard presses were directed to the newly inserted synth.  The MIDI data previously assigned to TTS-1 played on the newly inserted synth.

Footnote: After I inserted the new synth: (1) I now have both single track replace synth command and the one to replace the synth in all tracks and (2) replacing the synth on all tracks worked!!!

Previously, I had set up a Split Instrument track.  This time I set up a Hybrid Instrument track and did the replacement from the hybrid track.   

Hope this helps.

Edited by User 905133
edits

What you describe above is way above me.  However, I was successful in what I wanted to accomplish.  I first deleted the Cakewalk TTS-1 track and Track 1.  I was then able copy each MIDI track to a new track individually and assign a new instrument.

31 minutes ago, tdehan said:

What you describe above is way above me.  However, I was successful in what I wanted to accomplish.  I first deleted the Cakewalk TTS-1 track and Track 1.  I was then able copy each MIDI track to a new track individually and assign a new instrument.

What matters is that you can do what you want in a way that it feels comfortable to you.  Glad you got it solved.