Auto Save not following settings

Paul G

CbB  V2021.01, Win 10  is not following the Autosave settings.  I normally set it to 5 minutes and 5 or 10 changes.  It saves  almost constantly.  I can raise it to 100 changes and it still saves after several moves.  I think this may have been discussed a while back so if anyone could kindly point me in that direction, I'd be grateful.

Thanks.  Paul

• Like 1

I been having some problems with my Waves licenses, (they keep deactivating), so I moved them from my HDD to a thumb drive.  Lo and behold the Auto Save began to work properly!  After a few hours of editing it began to start saving more often than the setting.  Not as bad as before but still....  Very strange.   I'll see what happens tonight.  Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks.  Paul

4 hours ago, HIBI said:

Some software instruments count up the number of changes just by playing the project, which easily triggers Auto-save.

Thanks HIBI.  True but I don't think CbB is one of them.  Either way, after setting it to 100, it made no difference.

FYI, moving my Waves Licenses to a thumb drive did solve that problem, (at least, so far...).

Paul

12 hours ago, HIBI said:

Some software instruments count up the number of changes just by playing the project, which easily triggers Auto-save.

7 hours ago, Paul G said:

Thanks HIBI.  True but I don't think CbB is one of them.  Either way, after setting it to 100, it made no difference.

FYI, moving my Waves Licenses to a thumb drive did solve that problem, (at least, so far...).

Paul

It's the VST that causes the number of changes - not CbB per se.

VST's are meant to wrap parameter changes in beginEdit/endEdit calls.  That way,  for example.. initializing a preset which alters 20 parameters is seen as only one change.  Some VST's dont' do this, meaning it's seen as 20 changes.

Automation can also trigger "changes" in the VST depending on the VST.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, msmcleod said:

It's the VST that causes the number of changes - not CbB per se.

VST's are meant to wrap parameter changes in beginEdit/endEdit calls.  That way,  for example.. initializing a preset which alters 20 parameters is seen as only one change.  Some VST's dont' do this, meaning it's seen as 20 changes.

Automation can also trigger "changes" in the VST depending on the VST.

Thanks Mark.  That's interesting as the only thing that's different is I've moved to Win10 and I don't remember ever seeing this before.  I'll load up some other projects and see if I can locate the VST that's causing this.

Paul

Have you tried updating to the latest CbB version. You can always revert to the version you’re currently using if you prefer.

I use Waves plugins pretty well exclusively and have not encountered your problem. I only use Auto save on a time basis which I vary at different stages of a project depending on the intensity of editing I’m doing.  

Over the years I’ve trained myself to also hit Ctrl-s after major edits. I also make use of versioning. This combination has stood me in good stead for many years.