Problem Re-installing VST

Bach57

A couple of months ago I restored my computer and inadvertently ended up having to re-install Sonar X3 Producer. I was able to restore my programs via the original program discs and cakewalk account. However, when I open a previous project which utilizes the Dimension Pro VST, I receive the following informational message:   “The following plug-ins are referred to by this project, but could not be found. They may be missing or improperly installed on your system. The original plug-in state is saved by stand-in plugs, and will be restored if you save the project and subsequently load it on a system where the plug-ins are properly installed”. I reinstalled Dimension Pro, but I am still receiving the message. I have been using the Dimension Pro plug in for a while now. In band lab, I can load Dimension Pro soft synths to an existing track, but whenever I try to “bounce to track” for audio, band lab shuts down.  Can anyone assist or provide guidance with this issue? Much appreciated.

This can happen when a plugin is not in the same location as it was originally. Or 32 vs 64 bit??

Also, Dimension Pro came in at least 2 flavors; v1.3 and 1.5, and Dimension LE came in at least 3 including a DX version. This can also invoke the error.

You can try the Replace synth... routine but it will remove any loaded presets.

On 1/18/2023 at 3:52 AM, sjoens said:

This can happen when a plugin is not in the same location as it was originally. Or 32 vs 64 bit??

Also, Dimension Pro came in at least 2 flavors; v1.3 and 1.5, and Dimension LE came in at least 3 including a DX version. This can also invoke the error.

You can try the Replace synth... routine but it will remove any loaded presets.

Thank you for responding. This makes sense.  But since I do not have a historical reference of how the original DP was loaded, what would be the best direction to take in reloading DP?  I still have the DP disc that came with the original. Also, there are other versions on my Cakewalk account programs listing. Should I remove DP and re-install using the different "flavors" as painstaking as this might be?  I can re-load the DP VSTs, however, I am unable to bounce to track. I always open my projects as administrator. Thank you again.      

On 1/18/2023 at 7:14 AM, bitflipper said:

Can you insert a fresh instance of DP, into either an existing or new project?

Thank you for responding.  Yes, I can, but I am unable to bounce to track (band lab shuts down). I am able, however, to successfully bounce to track when using non-DP VSTs.  Thank again. 

I'd think if the project was originally created with Sonar X3, you'd be ok. If not, I'd install every version you have including 32 bit.

You might be able to figure out which one it is by clicking the track's synth icon and reading the info displayed in the empty wrapper.

Dimension versions: 1.0, 1.2 (2006), 1.3 (2008), & 1.5 (2011). There were also a few  updater patches along the way.

BTW, I'm having a similar problem using Vvocal in SPlat.

You might find this utility written by a Cakewalk Sonar forum user to browse and search your .cwp project folders for track names, audio files, plugin names, or user info. It doesn't show the version numbers or anything, but it might be useful for locating items within old projects.

It still works with CbB, and even launches a selected .cwp project in CbB if desired.

>>> ProjectScope for Cakewalk

http://forum.cakewalk.com/ProjectScope-for-Sonar-Project-Files-CWPs-updated-to-support-new-Sonar-project-features-m3584169.aspx

All CW Utility Downloads > http://forum.cakewalk.com/SONAR-Cakewalk-by-BandLab-CbB-Resources-and-Utilities-m3392713.aspx#3472457

ProjectScope Download > https://app.box.com/s/w6vlflxai9804wm2xquj6plbaizzf76z

Edited by abacab

If you can insert a new instance, then the issue is that it had been installed in a different location when you previously used it in old projects (either the DLL or the sample library). I don't think there is a way to determine where it was previously installed, but if you can guess it there is a way to recreate the old path and redirect it to the new location.

Looks like your only way forward is to delete and replace those old instances.

As for why it fails to bounce, that's a new one to me. If CbB actually crashes, there will be a crash dump that can be analyzed by Cakewalk. Can you freeze the instrument instead of bouncing to a new track?