LP-64 Multiband noise/crackling/clipping in lower mids

Terry Kelley

Hopefully someone can check this - play something with a fair amount of low mid-range/upper bass and solo the lower mid-range band in LP-64. Do you hear noise like it's being over-driven or clipped?

I was mastering  a low volume section with a fair amount of lower mids and could hear some noise and start soloing tracks and it didn't change. Then I soloed each band in LP-64 and found it was in the lower mid band. To be sure, I switched interfaces, speakers and headphone and it was still there. I loaded several other projects and it was still there. I disabled all effects on all of the tracks and it was still there. It's something to do with LP-64. Disable LP-64 and it's gone.

I switched to Sonitus Multiband and it's clean. Weird. Maybe it's something upstream I am missing? I reinstalled it from the old discs and it didn't change.

I like LP-64 and hate to have to switch although there are plenty of alternatives.

Edited by Terry Kelley

Try increasing your buffer size. First thing that comes to mind is that the LP-64 is more CPU-intensive than the Sonitus Multiband due to its use of linear-phase filters. The phrase "some noise" could mean a lot of things, one of which is dropouts caused by buffer exhaustion.

6 hours ago, Promidi said:

Have you tried in non linear precision mode? (Under Expert settings)

16 minutes ago, Terry Kelley said:

Hi Bit,  I tried all of the standard fixes and it doesn't work.  It's sounds like something is being over driven.

Promidi,  Expert Settings?

Probably talking about two different plug-ins.

The LP-64 Multiband looks like this:

Plug-ins.2.09.png

The LP MB (aka L-Phase Multiband) looks like this:

yAF2nBU.png

Notice the Expert button in the bottom left of the freq display

1 hour ago, Terry Kelley said:

Ah, never played with that one.

Yeah, that's the newer one. But definitely set it to "Expert, Precision: Non Linear" mode for mixing or the look-ahead buffering for linear phase will really kick your session's tail! 🤪

Edited by abacab

4 hours ago, Terry Kelley said:

Guitar Center shows it for $129. Didn't try ordering it.

I'm trying to figure out what's happening with LP-64. Maybe I do need to dump it,

Well considering that LP-64 Multiband has been around since Sonar 8, it has most likely not been tested and updated for quite a while...

I wouldn't advise buying any old Cakewalk Sonar related products from Guitar Center or elsewhere either.

Edited by abacab

I just figured someone might go "yep or nope." LOL. I didn't think we get into a deep alternative analysis. ;)

I fired up Reaper and tried various combinations of EVERYTHING and I think the noise is an artifact of the filtering itself. You don't notice it normally so I'm not going to dig any deeper.