Midi file export as audio not working

Dale Benedict

Question

4 answers to this question

Sounds like you have not rendered your midi to audio. Here are the steps from the help file…

Converting your soft synth tracks to audio

Once your project sounds the way you want it to, it’s extremely easy to convert your soft synth MIDI tracks to either new audio tracks, or Wave, MP3, or other exported files.

You can also do a temporary conversion, called freezing. See Freeze tracks and synths for more information.

To convert your soft synth tracks to new audio tracks

Mute all tracks that you don’t want to convert.

Click the Track view Tracks menu and choose Bounce to Track(s).

The Bounce to Track(s) dialog box appears.

In the Destination field, choose a new or pre-existing track to put the new audio data on.

If you’ve saved presets from previous bounce operations, you can choose a preset from the Preset field.

In the Source Category field, choose Tracks.

In the Channel Format field, choose mono if you want a mono track, stereo if you want a stereo track, and split mono if you want to create separate mono tracks.

In the Source Tracks field, choose the tracks or output bus(es) that the soft synth tracks are using (usually the main outputs).

In the Mix Enables field, make sure all choices are selected.

Click OK.

SONAR creates new audio tracks from the outputs you selected. When you’re through converting, don’t forget to mute your MIDI tracks so you won’t hear them and the new audio track(s) at the same time.

1 hour ago, Dale Benedict said:

I created a midi track using a vst synth. I can hear the track when played in cakewalk.

I do a "Select All", File > Export > Audio, the time range is correct.

When exporting as a WAV the result is an empty file of silence (4K in size).

What am I doing wrong?

...comes to mind, make sure the selected area includes the audio output of your VST. If not selected, there will be no audio exported.

I usually manually select the tracks (audio outputs included).

Or/and

Double check the settings of the export dialog (there are several options to choose from). If you choose the wrong ones, it could explain the lack of audio in your exported wav.