FREE Cherry Audio Surrealistic MG-1 Plus synth

John Maar

Cherry Audio is giving away their Surrealistic MG-1 Plus synth. You only need to have/setup an account with them.

Surrealistic MG-1 Plus

The Fat and Funky Sound of the Electronics Super Store Legend!

The fun and funky Surrealistic MG-1 Plus Synthesizer is a super authentic recreation of the Realistic MG-1 synthesizer sold in Radio Shack stores in the 80's. The Surrealistic MG-1 Plus delivers fat analog tone in spades, along with a unique polyphonic oscillator section, "bell tone" ring modulation, glide, auto repeat note triggering, oscillator sync, and a number of improvements that tremendously expand its capabilities. Best of all, it's absolutely FREE! 

Edited by John Maar
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, satyabrata satapathy said:

It was already free from start . Really good plugin 

Found that out. I only came across it today when I was downloading the update for GX-80. It's been out a couple of years. Always free. No reason really to show the $29 price crossed out.

10 minutes ago, Jan Schmitz said:

This sounds like a toy. And not in a „lofi cool“ way either. Impossible to get any usable sounds out of it. Even The Unfinished didn't manage to.

Did you ever play  the one Radio Shack sold? It was a toy.  So that means Cherry Audio got it right!!!!!

Edited by User 905133
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

Unpopular opinion, I guess, but I've found it useful at times.

Just to be clear, when I said the original was a toy, I didn't mean it wasn't useful.

• For example, try this:
    • Load the Cherry Audio MG-1 (free).
    • Run it through Arturia's Filter MS-20 (was free a few weeks back).
    • Choose "Big Sweep" on the MG-1 (others produce musical results, too).
    • Choose "Break Beat HP  Self Seq" on the MS-20.
    • Play a basic Bass note progression.
Edited by User 905133
to add "Play a basic Bass note progression.
  • Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

19 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Just to be clear, when I said the original was a toy, I didn't mean it wasn't useful.

• For example, try this:
    • Load the Cherry Audio MG-1 (free).
    • Run it through Arturia's Filter MS-20 (was free a few weeks back).
    • Choose "Big Sweep" on the MG-1 (others produce musical results, too).
    • Choose "Break Beat HP  Self Seq" on the MS-20.
    • Play a basic Bass note progression.

I loaded this up quickly in Gig Performer and liked the sound of the bottom octave. Nice find. It sounded best when I was able to fairly closely sync note changes to the sequencer.

Edited by John Maar
  • Thanks 1

IMHO it is very difficult to decide about synth sounds, 'cos it highly depends what you play with them. At times it also helps to reduce delay and/or reverb of the preset for a certain usage.

Sometimes searching a sound for a specific phrase I think a sound preset is worth nothing! The other day when I use another playing style or octave I am completely convinced 'bout the same sound. But maybe it's just me! 😆

7 minutes ago, marled said:

IMHO it is very difficult to decide about synth sounds, 'cos it highly depends what you play with them. At times it also helps to reduce delay and/or reverb of the preset for a certain usage.

Some synths are popular with certain genres of musician who choose a synth based on a factory or aftermarket library of production-ready sounds that fit their style. These presets are often drenched in effects to make them sound cool on preview. Temporarily shutting off the on-board effects will show the true colors of a synth engine.

A saw wave is a saw wave, and a wavetable is a wavetable, etc. It's how you process them with filters, modulation, & effects that produces that synth's "sound".

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Jan Schmitz said:

Also, I need to sell my GForce OB-E, SEM and Oddity3 because they're just not up to par with my other synths. 😢

My experience with ObE is the exact opposit , at least versus Cherry Audio  .... pretty sure that if cherry audio was priced 149 $ each , less hype would be around ....

Abacab is right , synths with a lot of chraracter are suited in certain scenario / genre while not so in others .... i went personnally with Xils lately because of a certain esthetic i want for my next album more in phase with the 70 's ...

I will say also All SAW's are not created equal ..... lol at least in the analog world .....