DAW Users Hall of Shame

kitekrazy

I have an AXE I/O and have yet to plug in a guitar or bass.

Never open all of my IK, Arturia or Melda plugins.

I spend more time on my outdated Intel 4790, 3.6 ghz system then my i9 system @ 4.9ghz.   Maybe it's because It's in the room hooked up to a 32 inch TV 720p  instead of the 42 inch at 1080.  I sit closer to the 32 inch and maybe that's why.    I have used my better system to play Hitman 3.

I have enough orchestra libraries and I want to produce Trance.

The last time I created a project from start to finish was 2009.  Of course all projects up till then I've lost all project files.

I'm sure I could come up with some more Hall of Shame. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bapu said:

Ditto. I'll be selling mine now that I have Apollos.

That's my other Hall of Shame.  I use to collect audio interfaces.  My older Intel system has a Motu M2 and M-Audio AP192.   A least I can make the mistake of accidentally opening 2 DAWs and not having the driver not available if I split them between devices.

4 hours ago, SteveStrummerUK said:

I'm reliably informed that he uses every last one of his 37,826 plug-ins on every tune he creates.

I hope that your source fact checked that information before telling you. It' s not true unless Billy Goats has paid someone to say that it is.

12 minutes ago, paulo said:
5 hours ago, SteveStrummerUK said:

I'm reliably informed that he uses every last one of his 37,826 plug-ins on every tune he creates.

I hope that your source fact checked that information before telling you. It' s not true unless Billy Goats has paid someone to say that it is.

To be fair, it was deliberately understating the numbers.

Rumours are that he inserts 37,826 plug-ins on every track in every project.

The man does like to get his money's worth :D

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SteveStrummerUK said:

To be fair, it was deliberately understating the numbers.

Rumours are that he inserts 37,826 plug-ins on every track in every project.

The man does like to get his money's worth :D

First misinformation and now rumours...... have you no idea how dangerous this could be ?

• Haha 2

My Hall Of Shame

1998: I got CWPA and for next two years I recorded< mixed, re-recorded and mix that song. Was about to start all over again when my 11 year old son came out his room and said, " Dad, it's done." Realizing I had spent way too much time on it, I did not restart the project. It did take me several more moths to finally get a mix I was happy with.

Fast forward to last week: I found the original stems of that song. I am really contemplating replacing the drums, and maybe the piano, and maybe the rhythm guitar, and maybe the...

:0

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Grem said:

My Hall Of Shame

1998: I got CWPA and for next two years I recorded< mixed, re-recorded and mix that song. Was about to start all over again when my 11 year old son came out his room and said, " Dad, it's done." Realizing I had spent way too much time on it, I did not restart the project. It did take me several more moths to finally get a mix I was happy with.

Fast forward to last week: I found the original stems of that song. I am really contemplating replacing the drums, and maybe the piano, and maybe the rhythm guitar, and maybe the...

:0

Moving to a different platform seems to have been an incentive to rework some of my old material, maybe because I could no longer just launch Sonar, load the project - and then lose interest in reworking the song within 27 seconds. 

I've only reworked a few, but I very much enjoyed the process. Some of those things really brought me back. And it was also nice to have better gear to work with. In most cases, I managed not to re-record too many parts. I did add some overdubs here and there, mostly to beef things up. But I did entirely replace some tracks, especially bass (synth) parts.

Having access to better gear, better monitors and a better room to work in, I managed to clean things up a bit on the low end, and some things just weren't really working as they were. And in some cases, I've carefully re-recorded the same parts, but made sure that I turned off or at least dialed back the reverb on those synth patches. That's one of the reasons why I was so thankful when Z3t4, Dimension and Rapture were finally ported to Mac. They were my go to synths for those projects.

In every instance, the new mix is a lot cleaner and technically better (although I have long since abandonned any pretense of having any talent when it comes to mixing music). In a few cases, I'm actually happier with the new mixes. That's  as good as it's going to get with me at the helm. But in some instances, I have to admit that, as mushy and all wrong as the original mix was, there is something to it that I just cannot improve. The new mixes just don't "move" like the original.

It is a fascinating process, at any rate. 

Edited by Rain
  • Like 2

One thing I run in to CONSTANTLY is having ideas my ***** can't cash(primarily drums and keyboards). I used to be better with step sequencing, but I lost that ability over the years and have to work to get it back. And sometimes I just get in my own damn way and get analysis paralysis.

I need to get friends or hired guns to get some  parts done, but I moved 50 miles from where I was living, so I don't have the same network.

I think my example is part of the reason people get in the Hall of Shame.

DOOM.jpg

Edited by hockeyjx
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Brian Walton said:

It seems to crash Cakewalk like no-ones business if I increase the latency unlike my other audio interface(s).

That is weird. Never heard of an increase of buffer size causing any issues.

3 hours ago, Grem said:

That is weird. Never heard of an increase of buffer size causing any issues.

Unless there's either not enough memory to go around, or the memory management is being naughty and trying to grab memory that's already been allocated and is protected? 🤔

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tony Carpenter said:

I have a valid excuse 60 moves in 35 years 8 times around the world to 4 different countries/states in those said countries. I'm sticking to that excuse, for now :).

Damn!  Running from the law?  😆

• Haha 3