Guitar FX - Newbie

I am a completely new. I am hoping the answer to my problem is easy since it seems so basic.  I am using Windows on an HP with an Presonus Audiobox USB96 Desktop 2x2 USB Audio Interface 25th.  I have been watching tutorials and recording very simple guitar.  

I am able to plug my electric into the input and record my guitar to a track with no problem.

Here is the problem: When I select an FX for the track (drag and drop) it attaches to the track but when I select a setting (TH3) it has no effect on the sound of the guitar.  No matter what I load it sounds as if there were no FX.  I have tried with both audio input and instrument

I think I must be missing something basic?? 

Thank you, 

KjenkinsJC

6 hours ago, mark skinner said:

Are you are opening up the TH3 interface and selecting different amps , FX . etc   ?

Yes. I selected TH3 cCakeWalkd band and then loaded the THe Clean.  It brought up the Darkface amp and speakers.    It had not effect. I then selected the Orange head from the right just to see if it made a difference.  Still nothing.? Some others have responded so I will try their advice to see if it works.   THanks, 

6 hours ago, mark skinner said:

Are you are opening up the TH3 interface and selecting different amps , FX . etc   ?

12 minutes ago, Keith L Jenkins said:

Yes. I selected TH3 cCakeWalkd band and then loaded the THe Clean.  It brought up the Darkface amp and speakers.    It had not effect. I then selected the Orange head from the right just to see if it made a difference.  Still nothing.? Some others have responded so I will try their advice to see if it works.   THanks, 

If you are expecting to hear the result of adding plug-ins to live input, do as @AndyB01 suggested...enable input echo...the button just right of record in the track header.

On 1/13/2023 at 3:37 PM, AndyB01 said:

Have you enabled input echo (monitoring) on the track? That might be it.

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Recording.21.html

Andy

Yes, I can hear the guitar live but the FX don't have an effect.  I have attached a few screen shots . Also, then I use the second track. the meter (green bar) responds on the first track. Not sure this has anything to do with. it. 

preferences.jpg

project no FX.jpg

TH3 amps.jpg

20 minutes ago, scook said:

If you are expecting

20 minutes ago, scook said:

If you are expecting to hear the result of adding plug-ins to live input, do as @AndyB01 suggested...enable input echo...the button just right of record in the track header.

to hear the result of adding plug-ins to live input, do as @AndyB01 suggested...enable input echo...the button just right of record in the track header.

Yes, I have attached a screen shot of a template project.  You can see it is enable.  I can hear my guitar but no effects?  Seems like it would be simple...

guitar template.jpg

6 minutes ago, Keith L Jenkins said:

Yes the montor is on.  I hear the guitar .. minus any effects I would expect to hear.

THanks, 

btw, I just set up another project using the template for 

14 minutes ago, scook said:

If this is the audio interface

presonus-25yr-audiobox-96-front.png

adjust the Mixer knob to the right (Playback) to hear the return from the DAW.

Bingo  ..  I thought it must be simple.  I turned up the mixer and now I am hearing the effects.  

Thanks, Everyone

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keith L Jenkins said:

Bingo  ..  I thought it must be simple.  I turned up the mixer and now I am hearing the effects.  

Glad you resolved the issue. That was the point of my earlier question regarding monitoring the computer output. The mix is the key! :)