Bands that had continued success with a new singer

craigb

Accept.

They have been doing quite well with Mark Tornillo.

It's also one of the most extraordinary comebacks I can think of  (thanks in no small part to Andy Sneap who has a way of rejuvenating those old bands and getting the best out of them).  

12 years since that comeback started and they show no sign of slowing down. Although the old classics will always stand, imho, this version of the band released much more consistently good music than the original line up with Udo.

2 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Of course there is the Roth vs. Hagar debate with Van Halen.

I've always called them Van Halen and Van Hagar.

Old trivia:  I actually was in a very popular West Hollywood club hanging out with Eddie when Dave arrived unexpectedly and proceeded to be a complete narcissistic a-hole (he jumped on the DJ's mike to announce that he was looking at all the women to see which ones he would be taking home).  He never came over to Eddie or even acknowledged him (heck, 99% of the entire club didn't even know Eddie was there which is exactly what he wanted since he was just getting out while Valerie was back in New York filming an episode for Family Ties that was never to be aired).  Eddie shook his head and said "Sorry, I've got to get out of here..." and that was the last time I ever saw him there.  This was in 1985 not too long before the break-up which definitely didn't shock me after what I saw!

Side-note:  So, how was I so lucky as to hang-out with Eddie a few times?  Well, it certainly had nothing to do with music!  He never even knew that I could spell guitar let alone play one (and we had just opened for Blue Oyster Cult the previous year).  One day he pulled up to the door of the club in his white Lambo (his two body-guards pulled up in a non-descript car behind him) right behind me in my sports car.  While waiting for the valets, I made a "Very nice!" comment about his ride just when one of the waitresses (who I had been dating came out).  He realized I was "safe" and we had some nice chats at the bar while the body-guards stood behind us keeping fans away.  The family on my Mom's side are all Dutch (my grandfather came over during WWII) and many are named Van Heulen, so we talked about the Netherlands (where he was born) and golf.  The only music-related topic ever talked about was how he grew up playing piano!  His father was apparently quite the musician as well.  A really nice (if very short compared to my 6'4" frame) guy.  Roth?  Not so much.  Never met Dave nor wanted to.  I'd have a drink with Sammy though! 🙂

• 2 weeks later...