Bands that had continued success with a new singer

craigb

Just now, Byron Dickens said:

Judas Priest. Rob Halford is their second singer. Also the fourth, after Tim Owens.

Arch Enemy. Angela Gossow replaced  Johan Liiva and was replaced with Alissa White-Gluz.

Black Sabbath with Ozzy Osbourne, followed by Ronnie James Dio, followed by a string of other guys.

There are a lot of bands that have changed singers, but were they successful afterwards?

38 minutes ago, AndyB01 said:

Depends how you define 'success' I guess.

This. Fans may still buy the albums and watch the shows, but for me they're not really the same band. *

* Although one man screaming along to overly loud guitars does sound pretty much like any other man screaming along to overly loud guitars, so I guess it makes little difference in the case of some bands **

** How Ozzy Osbourne ever got a job as a singer has always baffled me.

• Haha 2

It is a massive decision point on what to do with the band after the loss of a member (whether to pack it up or continue). You already mentioned AC/DC, but for folks who lived through listening to Back In Black for the first time after Bon Scott's death... we were highly critical yet amazed. A portion of the credit for that album needs to go to Mutt Lange though (the album was done over just 7 weeks in the Bahamas!).

Edited by mettelus

1 hour ago, craigb said:

Loved them both, but I must admit that (as with others) I kind of treated them as different bands.

Agreed - Hackett's recent re-working of old Genesis with Nad Sylvan on vocals have been better than many of Collins' interpretations - although no question, Collins was an excellent front man in his own right.

I think the most inspired decision Hackett made was asking Amanda Lehmann to do lead vocals on Ripples - an absolutely incredible rendition IMHO.

• Like 1