New Roxette album out, its called Pop Up Dynamo .. I really like it

aidan o driscoll

So after the sad death  of Marie Fredriksson in 2019 .. the other half of ROXETTE, Per Gessle ( hence the PG Roxette name ) has released a new album called Pop Up Dynamo. I have to say I really like this. 

Stepping into Maries shoes are singers Helena Josefsson and Dea Norberg. I think they did a great job, very sympathetic and a familiar Fredriksson presence throughout with some great pop up beat tracks like from Roxette of old. Of course Per is / was the main song writter.

Here is the whole album on youtube. Im very partial to many tracks on it particularly HEADPHONES ON

Here is a review where he talks about dusting off old keyboards

If you want to go retro, get the right stuff, he smiles. So, I dusted off both the Jupiter 6 and 8, as well as my Prophet 5.  A key or two was stuck, but after some TLC they were fit for fight again. Synth pop rules!

http://roxetteblog.com/2022/10/28/pg-roxette-pop-up-dynamo-eleven-new-songs-with-a-classic-twist/

Edited by aidan o driscoll
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, craigb said:

Wow...  Haven't heard of them for decades! 😮

Yes. Great pop material. But sadly @craigb .. Marie Fredriksson died in 2019. Ultimately in 2002 she was diagnosed with a severe brain tumour which caught up with her in 2016 when they had to stop touring. Have a listen to this album, really upbeat with lots of Marie on it via singers Helena Josefsson and Dea Norberg.

Listen to You hurt the one you love the most ... its the new Listen To Your Heart ( bit of Phil Collins in there too )

I saw that this was out at the back end of last year and I passed on listening to it at the time because generally I don't think it works when a band replaces the vocalist as they are such a big part of the sound/image. I've always thought it better to just start a new band. Generally I think you can get away with slotting in a new musician somewhere, or even a bass player ( 😈 ) but although they may not actually be the one behind all the songs they are the band in many ways. Mention Roxette to almost anyone and who springs to mind.....the pretty blonde with the spiky hair and great voice or the slightly awkward looking bloke next to her holding the guitar? Some probably even spent quite a long time thinking of her even when nobody had mentioned Roxette, but that's another story.

All that said, I am a sucker for a good pop song, so perhaps I should put my usual opinion aside and give it a listen. I can always pretend that it's a new band as long as someone hasn't shouted Roxette half way through any of them, which I recall being very irritating to me back in the day on whatever song it was. 

• Like 1

@paulo I get what you are saying here but in this case I think Per Gessle really pulled it off while being very sympathetic with a familiar Fredriksson presence throughout. I would think Marie would be very proud of this album.

Per really was/is the brains and creative behind Roxette. Maybe the slightly awkward looking bloke next to Marie holding the guitar but all the songs were his pretty much, he is the perfect pop song creator that was always a signature of Roxette.

Have a Listen to "You hurt the one you love the most" ... its the new "Listen To Your Heart" ( bit of Phil Collins in there too )

As for the name remaining, my view is it keeps Marie there in spirit also. Listening to this album I can hear her all through it via the female vocals of   Helena Josefsson and Dea Norberg.

Have a read of this fan review. He pretty much has similar concerns to yourself:

https://renownedforsound.com/album-review-pg-roxette-pop-up-dynamo/

5 hours ago, Craig Fowler said:

What is it about Swedes that makes them able to create perfect pop songs? I remember when Almost Unreal came out as a single and I thought it was three minutes of exactly what a pop song should sound like.

Spot on @Craig Fowler  .. A Q for the ages :D .. everytime I listen to this new album the same sentiment strikes me. Its just choc full of perfect pop

• Like 1

7 hours ago, paulo said:

I saw that this was out at the back end of last year and I passed on listening to it at the time because generally I don't think it works when a band replaces the vocalist as they are such a big part of the sound/image. I've always thought it better to just start a new band. Generally I think you can get away with slotting in a new musician somewhere, or even a bass player ( 😈 ) but although they may not actually be the one behind all the songs they are the band in many ways. Mention Roxette to almost anyone and who springs to mind.....the pretty blonde with the spiky hair and great voice or the slightly awkward looking bloke next to her holding the guitar? Some probably even spent quite a long time thinking of her even when nobody had mentioned Roxette, but that's another story.

All that said, I am a sucker for a good pop song, so perhaps I should put my usual opinion aside and give it a listen. I can always pretend that it's a new band as long as someone hasn't shouted Roxette half way through any of them, which I recall being very irritating to me back in the day on whatever song it was. 

That gives me an idea for a new thread!

7 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

@paulo I get what you are saying here but in this case I think Per Gessle really pulled it off while being very sympathetic with a familiar Fredriksson presence throughout. I would think Marie would be very proud of this album.

Per really was/is the brains and creative behind Roxette. Maybe the slightly awkward looking bloke next to Marie holding the guitar but all the songs were his pretty much, he is the perfect pop song creator that was always a signature of Roxette.

Have a Listen to "You hurt the one you love the most" ... its the new "Listen To Your Heart" ( bit of Phil Collins in there too )

As for the name remaining, my view is it keeps Marie there in spirit also. Listening to this album I can hear her all through it via the female vocals of   Helena Josefsson and Dea Norberg.

Have a read of this fan review. He pretty much has similar concerns to yourself:

https://renownedforsound.com/album-review-pg-roxette-pop-up-dynamo/

I guess it's a bit of no win situation with me TBH. If they sound okay but a little different then to me they've basically just become a tribute band of themselves (Queen) .

I will listen to the album properly, but the quick scan I did earlier of a few tracks  hasn't really changed my mind. I'm not saying they're not worthy songs, just that I'd rather have seen him say...here's my new band...

Of course, then I'd be saying that it doesn't really sound much different to the last one !😀

Edited by paulo