Feature Request: Filter Piano Roll keys by

Transcendent Thots

(Moved to Feedback from another thread.)

There's a feature described in this video which is common to many modern DAWs, which lets you sort ofย  "filter" the Piano Roll keys by Scale and Mode. I.E. Keys you're "not supposed to press" are simply removed from the piano roll, which makes it super easy to mess around with melodies and even chords, even if all you have is a mouse and a dream.

Of course, you'd be able to toggle it on and off, just in case you decide you want to mess around with key changes or something fancy or experimental. Changing the Key or Mode wouldn't transpose any existing notes, it would just hide different keys from the Piano Roll.

If this isn't currently a feature in Cakewalk, I'd love to see it added. But I can see how it may depend on your design goals. Do you want making music to be quick and easy to the point where it's hard to screw up? Or do you want learning how to implement chords by hand to be mandatory? I was never really clear whether BandLab/Cakewalk was meant to be a tool or a school. (It's so good at doing both at the same time! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ)

Thank you both. ๐Ÿ™‚

Don't get me wrong, I know that G sharp and A flat are the same thing. I can do it by hand if I absolutely need to. But I have to consult chord charts in order to do it. This cuts out the middle man.

It's also much faster to experiment when all of the wrong answers have been removed.

I'm not proud, but I know my limits.

With respect, in my experience, right and wrong are only useful terms relative to one's goals.

My current goal is to make some songs that I don't hate. I look forward to the day when I'm so bored with doing that, that my goal changes to making songs nobody's ever heard before.

I'm not there yet. But I got further along that journey in just two days of using your products than years of forced music curriculum, back in grade school. (Including after-school piano lessons that just wouldn't stick.) This is the best I can do with this brain and this computer right now.

Lucky for me, there are no wrong answers. ๐Ÿ‘

• Like 1