Spreadsheet of plugins included with Sonar from Sonar 3 Producer to Platinum

abacab

This compilation might be useful for those wishing to use their Sonar plugins with Cakewalk by BandLab.

This  spreadsheet shows the plugins bundled with Sonar from Sonar 3  Producer to Platinum, and which version of Sonar they were available with:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qNsnKBASsnsALygDDQSQ4jFW6yhZIJZcIpfwH-6qgy0/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

Thanks.  A few years ago I started compiling a list of plug-ins I had acquired with all my Cakewalk purchases over the years in order to go through them all to see which ones worked with the latest version I then owned.  I seem to recall discovering that somewhere along the line bought-and-paid-for plug-ins no longer worked in newer versions (if I remember correctly).  So, thanks for sharing your list!

Steve

• Meh 1

As far as I know, any 64-bit plugins from any past version of Sonar should work fine in any of the newer versions of Sonar or CbB.

Sonar 5 was the first 64-bit version.

I don't use many 32-bit plugins these days, so I can't report on which ones do or don't work anymore. But many of them should work via Cakewalk’s BitBridge technology.

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR&language=3&help=Dialogs2.064.html

Hmmm.  I think with SONAR 3, I started with "Producer" and then went to "Producer Expanded" whenever they introduced that, but somewhere along the way (maybe X1? or X3?), I decided that I didn't need "everything" and went to plain SONAR and SONAR STUDIO.  If I recall correctly, some of the Producer and Producer Expanded versions of plug-ins worked in the less-than-Producer versions, but some didn't.  Maybe that was when I started my Spreadsheet.

I do remember getting messages like "not licensed for ________" with some plug-ins (i.e., some plug-ins could only be used in earlier versions).  I am just starting to get back into doing music (or trying to start). So, armed with your spreadsheet, I can now revisit  all my plug-ins. 

Thanks, too, for the link to the Documentation page!

Steve

Edited by MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve)
(1) to correct a typo and (2) to add a refernce to the link
  • Meh 1

X1 was the only version with a Producer Expanded release.

Third party Plug-ins bundled with Producer often do not run in lesser versions even if the lesser version is a newer release. This is due to the license agreement between Cakewalk and the plug-in manufacturer.

CbB should load anything that was installed with 64bit version of SONAR because it appears to plug-ins as current top-of-the line version of SONAR. That said, discontinued plug-ins were often dropped because they were not maintained and were a support problem.

The plug-ins bundled with SONAR received periodic updates. Older versions of a plug-ins may experience problems that newer versions of the same plug-ins do not have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, scook said:

CbB should load anything that was installed with 64bit version of SONAR because it appears to plug-ins as current top-of-the line version of SONAR.

That is an interesting thought for those that had lighter versions of Sonar most recently, and a bit of incentive to at least give CbB a try if they had an old Producer edition lying around.

The spreadsheet referenced in this thread assumes the baseline of 64-bit plugins supplied with the Producer or Platinum versions  of Sonar only. It is not intended to take into account the plugins supplied with lighter editions of the DAW, or the 32-bit variety.

You can research the Cakewalk edition releases in the press release archives, where the edition differences are often discussed. For an example see this page for a description of what the Sonar 8.5  Studio lacks as far as the Producer exclusives: https://www.cakewalk.com/Press/Release/1142/09-15-09-Cakewalk-Announces-SONAR-8.5-Producer-and-SONAR-8.5-Studio-Now-Available

The archives are available for the years 2003-2017, and the years are linked on the right side of that press release page.

For the Sonar update history and what was added to Platinum from 2015-2017, see the "What's New" page at Cakewalk: https://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/Whats-New#start

For the feature comparison of the final versions of legacy Sonar Platinum, Professional, Studio, and Home Studio, see this page: https://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/Versions

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies/suggestions. Revisiting my various plug-ins is definitely now on my to-do list.  Since I only discovered that Cakewalk was very much alive two-days ago, my catch-up list is growing exponentially!  I still don't know why I didn't see it on 4-4-2018! (I only saw the web-based thing.)  Plans include going back to some C-64/Dr. T/KCS tunes ported to TTS's Cakewalk for MS-DOS ages ago to update some old favorites.  

Steve

• Like 1
  • Meh 1