UAD Sphere LX & DLX Microphone Modeling System

cclarry

“Fix it in the mix?” Now you can — with Universal Audio Sphere modeling microphones. Mic type, polar pattern, proximity effect, transient response, room bleed, off-axis response . . . Sphere gives you complete control of your sound even after you record. And with dozens of upscale mic models onboard, Sphere is your silver bullet for everything from vintage warmth to modern gloss.

Choose between the standard dual-diaphragm Sphere LX and the Sphere DLX with immersive Sphere 180 stereo pickup. Special 24-month financing is available on both mics, so go on — there’s never been a better time to upgrade your mic locker.

https://www.sweetwater.com/universal-audio-sphere/series

4 minutes ago, Grem said:

These look a lot like the Townsend mics. Wonder what the difference is?

Most likely they are.  You can do basically a "modeling mic" by using a good, flat responding mic
and software like IK's Mic Modeler, or others, and not have to spend $500, $1,000, or more dollars.
They'll do a decent job without "breaking the bank" IMO, but hey...what do I know?

• Like 2

Looks like the DLX and L22 are pretty much the same.  The DLX has a fixed 20 db pad, where the L22 was selectable and the DLX comes with a 25 foot cord vs. 10 foot for L22.

This mic is interesting in that it is dual diaphragm so can have a stereo recording from one mic.

Good review on tape-op that I can't link to here for some reason.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

Not when I had the L22. The back diaphragm always had a weaker signal. Maybe things are improved now. I went with an AEA R88, it is a stereo microphone. 

t

To be real honest I haven't recorded any vocals with myself singing on it yet and have just been experimenting with the software.
I bought all of the mic packages that are available.

I did try it on a quick voiceover and it worked really well.
The work flow to record on two channels took a little working out (but there are some videos out there to help you)
Its quite simple really...  if you do get it .. don't add a preamp emulation to it.. as its putting extra colour on the signal which is not needed and takes away from the correct modelling .

After a little research there is no difference between the L22 and the new one..   so I would get the old L22 at a discount price.
I bought mine for 10100nkr down from 22,000nkr when it first came out... 
I have a UAD Apollo x8p with digital preamps.. which suits the mic well.

I personally have never tried any of the high-end studio mics...  but even if I am 90% there...  I got one hell of a bargain.   : )
I will do a track soon of my vocals on a song and then you can judge for yourselves.

@Grem  I might give it a try on our song when I get the time..  but i don't think I would be able to match the first performance.

The L22 is a very fine vocal mic. My issue with it was trying to capture a stereo acoustic guitar track. I opted for the R88, that’s exactly what it was designed for; capturing a stereo image. Just my experience, trying to capture a stereo image with the L22 just didn’t work for me. 
YMMV?

t

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1