Kirk Hunter Kinetic Strings Plus

cclarry

Hi all! Didn't buy the original as it had no velocity control on the arping...  Was way too static to me. This seems much better... Haven't watch Simeon yet but... is this a buy? 

Me and Roger committed to STOP till next bf but I'm an ostinato addict... Soooooo.... 

Fleer/Bapu... Give me an honest thought... I do have every "movement" orchestral library on Earth already. Kirk was my first, had all his old stuff but it's on an old computer now in a corner gathering dust and kinda irrelevant these days... 

Enjoyed our last gathering! 

Hi, Larry! Was Vastman in the old Cakewalk days. You're still an amazing Pusher Man! ❤️

Edited by Dana Pearson
Added stuff
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dana Pearson said:

Hi all! Didn't buy the original as it had no velocity control on the arping...  Was way too static to me. This seems much better... Haven't watch Simeon yet but... is this a buy? 

Me and Roger committed to STOP till next bf but I'm an ostinato addict... Soooooo.... 

Fleer/Bapu... Give me an honest thought... I do have every "movement" orchestral library on Earth already. Kirk was my first, had all his old stuff but it's on an old computer now in a corner gathering dust and kinda irrelevant these days... 

OMG! Dana. It's been ages. I went by eDrummist, real name Peter. I was helping Kirk out maybe a decade ago. I came up with the idea for the Pop/Rock library and worked on a group buy or two. It's nice to see you around! One of the nicest of many nice people I met (virtually) back then. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Dana Pearson said:

Hi, Larry! Was Vastman in the old Cakewalk days. You're still an amazing Pusher Man! ❤️

Hi Dana, wonderful to have you back here. 
Still getting to grips with the Plus version but Simeon sure caught me where I’m soft, being a strings ostinato freak and all ;)

Then again, I also liked those Sonokinetic ones …

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

OMG! Dana. It's been ages. I went by eDrummist, real name Peter. I was helping Kirk out maybe a decade ago. I came up with the idea for the Pop/Rock library and worked on a group buy or two. It's nice to see you around! One of the nicest of many nice people I met (virtually) back then. 

Dude! I REMEMBER! Them were da DAYZ! Cool new name! Here 🐈🐈. 😂 Been away for years... Life changes and all...

Listening to Simeon right now... This Plus is way better... Guess the old man gets a few duckets from me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Hi Dana, wonderful to have you back here. 
Still getting to grips with the Plus version but Simeon sure caught me where I’m soft, being a strings ostinato freak and all ;)

Then again, I also liked those Sonokinetic ones …

Got all them too but not a natural intuitive/extemporaneous composing flow for me. Simeon convinced me... I'll send Kirk some dinner funds... After all, he was the only one with deals back when I was broke on the farm🥴

Funny no one creates more delicate ostinato velocity builds for these demos... Velocity is an important dimension! It's like everyone is "wanking off"🤣 I'll see what I can do. I see the controls are there.

Peace, bro (wouldn't that be nice😰)

Edited by Dana Pearson
misspell
  • Great Idea 1

BTW, James Spilling just did a nifty little review/muck around also.. Very different... Good instance fiddler around with all the controls... Quite a funny guy❤️ this little beasty has a load of "naughty" stuff😁

Edited by Dana Pearson
Added stuff
  • Like 1

Thanks for this thread!  I have not received emails from KH for about a year now and did not get a notification about this.  I have been a long time user of KHStudio products (Concert Strings 2, Concert Brass 2, Diamond Orchestra, Spotlight Strings, Pop Rock Strings ), but this is my first dive into his newer Kinetic engine based ostinato products. 

Thank you guys-- I just purchased Kinetic Strings Plus.  I did not own the Original version.  For those who do not own the Original it is good to make  clear that the Plus Version comes with the Original Instrument nki's in a separate folder.   The Original Instrument has very different presets and it is great to have both sets of Original and Plus presets, but it is a little strange that the presets aren't transferable between the original and the Plus versions.  Still, I am very impressed with the ease of use and the myriad of possibilities to tweak the presets and also to create your own ostinato patterns and then Save them as snapshots. 

Midi Drop and Drag--hurray!  I can see myself using Kinetic Strings Plust even more often because it allows the midi ostinato patterns to be dragged and dropped into a DAW midi track and then use that midi to drive other (non-KH) instruments.  This midi drag and drop feature is GREAT,  but I  am somewhat concerned about burning thru the 400 launch use limits.

Why have a 400 launch limit??  Everytime you launch any of the the nki's, the number of allowed launches/instances reduces.  There are different limit counters for the two products, but there is a maximum of 400 uses for each the Original and the Plus instruments. "The library has 400 usage before it will stop working".   Everytime I load an instance of any of the nki's, the allowed total number of uses decreases.  My own DAW technique is that  I tend to launch my DAW (s) several times  a day.  Sometimes it just need to to get away for a break or for a creative break and then come back refreshed.  Other times I use my DAW jam and just have fun.  I can easily see myself using Kinetic Strings Plus  ALL THE TIME; it is a excellent product that is just fun to play, but also inspires creativity. I also see myself using this within PluginGuru's Unify platform--Now that will be fun!!  However, I am concerned that I will use Kinetic Strings too much and eat up (deplete) the 400 allowed launch limits so quickly.  FYI--I have never seen this kind of use limit (countdown limit) on my other (older) KH products.  I read that the limit can be "reset", but I have never seen a use limit on my other VST products-- So--

QUESTION-- So --for you who have used and have recommended these newer KH's Kinetic ostinato products over that last year:  How easy is it to get the "400" limit reset?  Have any of you had to reset your instance/launch?

Any feedback from you guys who have used these Kinetic products for the last year?

I really love this product.  So much fun and so easy to use, but why a 400 use limit???

Thanks

C2

Edited by Cecelius2
  • Confused 1

57 minutes ago, Cecelius2 said:

I really love this product.  So much fun and so easy to use, but why a 400 use limit???

WTF??? I wasn't aware that the full product had any usage limitations, especially since it is not a "Kontakt Player" licensed instrument.

Although I have never reached the 400 limit, this just sounds weird. Is it April 1st??? 🙄

Edit: I just noticed the "Authorize for free" in fine print on my KH Kinetic Strings Plus UI. I contacted them and they quickly sent me a special .nki file to launch that unlocked the library. It worked, and was relatively painless, yet a total surprise. I have never seen a curve ball like this in all my years of downloading, installing, and authorizing computer software.

All in all a weird interaction, IMO...

Kinetic Strings Plus - 400 usages.PNG

Edited by abacab

48 minutes ago, Cecelius2 said:

Why have a 400 launch limit??

35 minutes ago, abacab said:

Although I have never reached the 400 limit, this just sounds weird.

I believe it's a 'soft' copy protection mechanism. As it's a Full Kontakt instrument, it's very easy to copy it around. There's also some small text in there somewhere that explains how to unlock it. IIRC you just send an email to support from the account that you purchased with asking to unlock. They'll send you some special files (with instructions) to unlock it - the process is very easy.

8 minutes ago, antler said:

I believe it's a 'soft' copy protection mechanism. As it's a Full Kontakt instrument, it's very easy to copy it around. There's also some small text in there somewhere that explains how to unlock it. IIRC you just send an email to support from the account that you purchased with asking to unlock. They'll send you some special files (with instructions) to unlock it - the process is very easy.

That's fine if they want to do it that way, but they should fully disclose the facts on the product page, or at the very least on the download page.

• Like 2

I too would have thought that this "use limit"  would have been disclosed prior to purchase in the requirement section or in the manual.  That said, I do admit that it looks like it is just a email exchange to get it reset back to the 400 limit.  Kirk has always responded quickly to my emails in the past.

However, in the back of my mind I guess my real concern is product life.  What happens when in a few years this product is discontinued in favor of new line of products?  Will we be able to get an permanently "unlocked" version that does not have the counter?  [Remember how Sonar Platinum got permanently unlocked when the Gibson debacle happened]    I know it may seem like an unwarranted fear, but even KH has discontinued some of his products .  I know this is not a subscription product, but it kind of feels like a rental or lease.  Just very surprised.  I was just surprised by the countdown limit.  By the way, the Original Instrument version shows the counter on the main page. 

Other than this strange counter, this is a great product (that I want to have always in my toolbox for EVER ).

Is this counter also on the other KH Kinetic products (Woodwinds, Percussion, Brass)? [Edit--just checked some video tutorials and yes, the counter is on the Woodwinds, Percussion and Brass versions).]

Edited by Cecelius2