WTF Zakk Cervini  mixers on ARIPODS

whoisp

I am sure he's talking about mixing drinks with airpods on 🤣

Zakk Cervini is  probably one of the current top heavy rock and mental American record producer, vocal producer, songwriter, and go to mixing engineer for people like Limp Bizkit and Blink-182 with his roots in hardcore punk. I was listening to his interview that he mixers on cans and 70% time on AIRPODS becvu8ase of the clarify in the mid range. Appears more and more top  producers and mixing engineers are using cans all the time and test on monitors, maybe because majority of people listen with headphones on phones 

1 hour ago, Bapu said:

I mix 100% using cans (Sennheiser HD650s) and test in the car while driving. I rarely use my speakers in the studio any more.

SAme here, the reason i posted it because i always mix on a old pair of Sony MDR 7506 with some studio beats and normal Bluetooth headset when i walk the dogs to test on, Bluetooth headset are the perfect test. My monitors and bass bin, i do a quick test depending on what music im doing...  I know you can't here the cross over with headphones but you can tell if its a problem with headphones on to take them off and check 

I mix a lot on good headphones at first, with car listens. Car listens are always a brutal experience.

These headphone mixes have taken care of the most detailed editing. Clicks, breaths, plosives, pops, weird resonance clashes, I hear them better on headphones.

Then finish up on good monitors, on low volume, where I get the bass right (as my skills allow) and then give volume a good crank up on the monitors, to check for overall balance/tilt issues.

I do periodic earbud checks, I think that's a must these days. Unfortunately.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

I mix a lot on good headphones at first, with car listens. Car listens are always a brutal experience.

These headphone mixes have taken care of the most detailed editing. Clicks, breaths, plosives, pops, weird resonance clashes, I hear them better on headphones.

Then finish up on good monitors, on low volume, where I get the bass right (as my skills allow) and then give volume a good crank up on the monitors, to check for overall balance/tilt issues.

I do periodic earbud checks, I think that's a must these days. Unfortunately.

they say between 80 and 90 SLR listening loudness on your system for testing with bass against your mix, so you can ear it all and not just turning things.  You listen to it loud you will here the bass, then you turn it down and can hear no bass, getting that balance for sure on speakers

• 3 months later...

I keep reading people posting that Zakk mixes on AirPods but that is not correct according to the URM Podcast.

Go to 26:40 of the podcast he mixes on Sennheiser HD600 headphones and Apple Earbuds.

At 27:35 he mentions using AirPods everyday at the gym and says "I don't mix on the AirPods..."