Change Tempo

I recorded a song yesterday at 84 bpm.  I just sound too slow.  I have only recorded a basic keyboard part, and a short intro into the 3 minute song, along with bass, acoustic guitar, and a lead vocal.  I think I realize now it is dragging.  I'd like to increase it to 100 bpm.  I watch some videos online and it says to just change the tempo which is what I did, but it doesn't work.  I am about to just go ahead and re-record everything at 100 bpm.

I'm I missing something that can save me time?

Thanks

For audio to follow you must first (before changing tempo) turn on audio snap for all audio clips and enable Clip follows project.  Then change tempo.  It will sound best if you Bounce to clip the stretched clips when done with the Offline Radius Mix algorithm.

Also I personally get the most reliable results if I first bounce to clip each track to start at zero and be one whole clip per track.  If this is done, Clip follows project will work 99.9% of the time.  

Also, 16 bpm is not too far out of the stretch realm.  Mix Radius can work wonders.  You need to learn this technique either way.  Try it! If it doesn’t meet your needs record again.  At least you can then play with hearing the different tempos.

Just remember it won’t sound the best until bounced with the Mix Radius offline.  Highlight the stretched clip, make sure Mix Radius is the Offline render mode, right click, bounce to clip. 

Best of luck!

👍

Edited by Blogospherianman

Regardless of stretching individual tracks or the Master 2 track, audio snap should not change the pitch.  

I personally want the tempo right before mixing, especially if there’s more tracking to do.   Some things you just don’t play the same at different tempos. Slower songs might require more accents to drive the groove.  While the same song sped up by 16 beats might favor a different accent or pattern.  Playing with tempo early on may inspire a better overall vibe for the song in the long run.   How does it feel to dance at this tempo, or does it make you bob your head? How does it feel singing it? Am I losing the lyrical message at this tempo? Does the listener have time to digest the song? Some  songs feel good playing wise at a certain tempo, but singing wise don’t work as well.  Sometimes the lyrics want a slight ritard to not feel rushed at important places.  What do the Lyrics want/need?  Crocodile Rock has more lyrics in the Chorus and slightly pulls back to accommodate.   Food for thought.

Edited by Blogospherianman

5 hours ago, Gswitz said:

Yes, what Craig describes works great, but slightly changes the pitch, if I understand him correctly.

Not necessarily; depending on the nature of the stretching process, you can stretch pitch and time simultaneously (i.e., tape-style varispeed), just pitch, or just tempo.

2 hours ago, Blogospherianman said:

I personally want the tempo right before mixing, especially if there’s more tracking to do.   Some things you just don’t play the same at different tempos. 

This is the ideal option, for sure. Starting a song solely with MIDI instruments allows creating the overall arrangement and making tempo changes early on, without having to deal with audio. After the basics are down, then the overdubbed audio can follow along more easily.

However, I pretty much need to record to a click so that tempo-synched effects (especially delay effects) don't create artifacts when they try to follow tempo. Then I stretch the final two-track with fairly subtle changes, and don't have to be concerned with sync issues. 

2 hours ago, Craig Anderton said:

However, I pretty much need to record to a click so that tempo-synched effects (especially delay effects) don't create artifacts when they try to follow tempo. Then I stretch the final two-track with fairly subtle changes, and don't have to be concerned with sync issues. 

There are several delays that are unaffected by tempo changes.   NI Replika and Replika XT on modern mode and also NI Guitar Rig 5 Psych delay come to mind...

Also you can turn off sync to the delays snd run it more old school free form, like a live group.

• 5 months later...