Looking After No 1

Andrew Rhodes

Hello Cakewalk people :)

New song. Few little issues with it I think, but I spent enough time on it now!

Not many people you can trust in this world!

EDIT 30/1/23

Ok, after your very enlightening comments, I've remixed the track. Hopefully this one will address the points everyone has mentioned. Let me know if this improves things. Thanks all! :) 

Edited by Andrew Rhodes
  • Like 4

It's got rock writing chops, I liked the guitar, and the smooth and nicely intune doubled vocals! I'm missing bass guitar in the mix, is there one? For the genre, that's mandatory, I believe?

the drums have excellent fills, love the hi hats and fast cymbals. The snare and barely-there kick drum need to be put through the biggerizer a few times.

Guitar tones and performances were killer! And with those excellent vocals, you've got something to build better low drums and bass around.

Very. Cool. Song.

cheers,

-Tom

6 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

It's got rock writing chops, I liked the guitar, and the smooth and nicely intune doubled vocals! I'm missing bass guitar in the mix, is there one? For the genre, that's mandatory, I believe?

the drums have excellent fills, love the hi hats and fast cymbals. The snare and barely-there kick drum need to be put through the biggerizer a few times.

Guitar tones and performances were killer! And with those excellent vocals, you've got something to build better low drums and bass around.

Very. Cool. Song.

cheers,

-Tom

what Tom said!!

Definitely needs Bass and some work on the drums, then I think you've got a really good track here

Cool

Nigel

Andrew , Nice start on a killer song !  I also agree with Tom. You've a smooth mix here , but I think you are being a little  conservitive  and I think it needs to be a little more "edgy". I really like the "loose skins" snare but think a little crack in them would help also.  For me , besides the kick/bass I think it would be improved with some gain and highs.  Just my 2 cents on this one.          Enjoyed it  ..   mark

On 1/11/2023 at 8:23 PM, PhonoBrainer said:

rock writing chops,

Without a doubt!
But (there's always a but), that lead guitar is a little (a lot) "toppy" (fizzy) to my ear.
I'd look at what you're using as the amp sim. What cab emulation are you using?
Pretty much the vast majority of "holy grail" speakers roll off sharply at around 5k; my guess is this is not.
Just my nickel98, take it with a grain of salt; free advice is worth exactly what you've paid for it...

t

and please don't take that as I did not enjoy your work.

Thank you for all the comments guys, much appreciated! It's always good to get other thoughts - after a while listening to a song over and over makes you miss things. So, I'd like your comments on the following.

@PhonoBrainer @Bajan Blue

The drums - I'm using AD2 drums, all one track, and common effects. Are we saying it might be better to separate the bass drum and snare and process them individually?

The bass - it follows the guitar riff and so merges with it. When I was listening, I did think where is the bass? So I muted the bass and played the track, and found it did add quite a bit to the overall sound. However, looks like I might need to eq the bass more, maybe add some distortion to make it stand out a bit more? Alternatively, re- do the bass line so it doesn't follow the guitar riff - would that be better? 

@freddy j mentions a bit more "edge" - how would you do that?

@DeeringAmps Guitar solo - I used my trusty Behringer Vamp3 for it, cheap but I really do like it. Ill try to add some additional eq or even cab sim.

I'm on hols at moment, but will have another go when I return. Look forward to your further insights and infinite wisdom!

Thank you!

Edited by Andrew Rhodes
  • Like 1

Great rock chops - I can hear the bass but seems a little lost in the mix - not much I can add to what others have said above.

All the makings of a great track but - if I'd done this - I'd be pretty pleased with where it's already at.

Great job and enjoyed the listen.

Andy

Please take my comments as only suggestions.  It is your song  - you know what you were looking for and besides it is a good rock song as is. In agreement with some of the comments above, I had a wee bit of trouble hearing the bass guitar.  Bringing this up a bit more would add more of a bottom to the song.  The guitars (good playing BTW) might add to the edgy-ness, with a bit more of a driven bass sound.  If that is not what you were looking for --- then I was wrong.  I enjoyed the listen!!