8DIO Intimate Studio Strings - One Week Sale - $50

stony

I have these. While they aren't my go to strings, for $50 USD, I think they're worth considering.  I think I paid a little over $ 100 US for them a couple of years ago. 

There are A LOT of articulations for each instrument, but they don't have intuitive scripting that enables you to get real-time, realistic sounding performances like some KONTAKT instruments have (which is what I really love about Orange Tree Samples libraries that made me a huge fan from day one).  It takes a bit more work. If you have a go to set of strings and are looking for additional colors, I think this MAY be worth picking up.  The interface allows you to trigger the various articulations by velocity you set. Consequently, if that fits your workflow, you may enjoy this approach. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Great Idea 2

I want to add this walkthrough of the raw sounds from this library to folks a very good idea how the library sounds. 

If you're considering this library-- and it's really a large group of solo string libraries-- I strongly  recommend giving this video a listen first. The person the video isn't playing anything interesting,  so it's musically boring,  but it is an accurate representation of what the strings in this library sound like without any effects. It's not an influencer promoting the library, it's just someone playing the various patches dry,  without effects or other instruments. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Peter,

I agree with a number of points/issues you've raised.
One of the problems I've had with 8dio is as you say "I find that the quality is all over the board".  

Being that various Spitfire libs (Originals Intimate Strings, Originals Epic Strings) were recently on sale for $17 and still sell at $29 - I don't know if this 8dio collection is really even a contender.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 3

On 1/9/2023 at 10:01 PM, TheSteven said:

Hi Peter,

I agree with a number of points/issues you've raised.
One of the problems I've had with 8dio is as you say "I find that the quality is all over the board".  

Being that various Spitfire libs (Originals Intimate Strings, Originals Epic Strings) were recent on sale for $17 and still sell at $29 - is this 8dio entry really even a contender?

I own Originals Intimate Strings and,  l  found that Originals Intimate Strings met my expectations. It sounds great and is very satisfying to play. However,  Originals is a string section, not a series of solo instruments  and a very different animal.  It's not a highly detailed sample library with tons of articulations like this 8Dio library collection. 

That said, in my experience,  the quality level of Spitfire libraries has been high quality, very playable  and reliable. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, overbit said:

https://8dio.com/products/intimate-studio-strings?variant=41310021746888

It's flash sale now $38 until 14th. but seems not worth as reading here

Take a look at Spitfire Audio Originals Intimate Strings which is selling for $29. 
579 reviews getting a 4.8 average out of 5 
Just listen and compare the walkthroughs between the two.  
I think that the 8dio version has a lot more articulations, etc. but if you don't like the way the library sounds - does that matter?

8dio's new line, SoundPaint, seems to be getting some attention.
I can't speak to how good or bad SoundPaint is as I have stayed away from 8dio since my earlier misadventures.

Edit: if articulations, etc are critical for you...
Consider picking up Hollywood Orchestra Opus Edition which is currently on sale for $299, even if you have to make payments.
It's a killer sale. I spent a lot more than that at 8dio picking up 'sale' items individually.
It is huge, you may need to get extra storage or enlarge it; you also don't have to install everything all at once (or at all). 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Note: The opinions expressed here are solely my own.  I have not received any compensation (virtual, physical or even imaginary) for stating my opinions. 

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TheSteven said:

Take a look at Spitfire Audio Originals Intimate Strings which is selling for $29. 
579 reviews getting a 4.8 average out of 5 
Just listen and compare the walkthroughs between the two.  
I think that the 8dio version has a lot more articulations, etc. but if you don't like the way the library sounds - does that matter?

8dio's new line, SoundPaint, seems to be getting some attention.
I can't speak to how good or bad SoundPaint is as I have stayed away from 8dio since my earlier misadventures.

Edit: if articulations, etc are critical for you...
Consider picking up Hollywood Orchestra Opus Edition which is currently on sale for $299, even if you have to make payments.
It's a killer sale. I spent a lot more than that at 8dio picking up 'sale' items individually.
It is huge, you may need to get extra storage or enlarge it; you also don't have to install everything all at once (or at all). 

Note: The opinions expressed here are solely my own.  I have not received any compensation (virtual, physical or even imaginary) for stating my opinions. 

Hoarders ignore that.   I don't like the player.  Hard to find anything to match that sound for $29.

I'm all about licensing. I'm not a fan of the machine limit proprietary player.  This is why I still prefer Kontakt.  You can install them on every machine in the house. For me to use Soundpaint and Spitfire I would have to log out and log in for a 3rd machine.  EW and VSL have iLok and I've been experimenting with iLok Cloud. I bought Musio because they don't do that machine limit. 

I'm also seeing a trend of avoiding bigger is better.  How many of these sales are getting ignored because it involves spending more money on drive space?

I think most of these bargains are aimed at the casual user who is not into mic positions, how are the legato, or have a clue about string articulations. On other forums I come across those who might want some orchestra sound in a production but not full blown. Then we throw out the pricey ones and mention things way over their head. 

I probably have these. Sad that it gets to the point of knowing.

I'm actually enjoying the smaller 8dio string libraries with those longer names.

Lack of space is why I don't have the EW library.  I can't if I buy it with the drive can you use that instead of moving it.