NI Battery 4 VST3! (Not a deal)

asprog

15 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

so can i ask, are people not installing and using vst2 version in vst3 is available?

I install both as the plug-in files are not that big. It's a personal preference as to which ones you see and use in your plug-in browser, unless you are a Cubase user.

VST3 has some potential advantages if the plug-in is correctly coded and the DAW supports them. But I haven't seen any real-world differences yet. It used to be that some developers had issues with coding VST3, and in those cases you were better off sticking with VST2 for stability.

But it's been a while since I had a VST3 related issue...

Some things to consider:

• Legacy or end-of-life products that never released as VST3 will forever be VST2.
  • New developers will only be able to release VST3.
  • Some hosts (such as Cubase) may cease support for VST2 plug-ins.
Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, abacab said:

I install both as the plug-in files are not that big. It's a personal preference as to which ones you see and use in your plug-in browser, unless you are a Cubase user.

VST3 has some potential advantages if the plug-in is correctly coded and the DAW supports them. But I haven't seen any real-world differences yet. It used to be that some developers had issues with coding VST3, and in those cases you were better off sticking with VST2 for stability.

But it's been a while since I had a VST3 related issue...

Some things to consider:

• Legacy or end-of-life products that never released as VST3 will forever be VST2.
  • New developers will only be able to release VST3.
  • Some hosts (such as Cubase) may cease support for VST2 plug-ins.

To put in my twopenn'orth:

• I prefer to install plugins not having an own preset system (like most PA plugins) as VST2, because in some hosts like CbB it is very inconvenient to use VST3 presets for them!
  • Also, there are some hosts that still do not support VST3 (older ones any way).
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, marled said:

I prefer to install plugins not having an own preset system (like most PA plugins) as VST2, because in some hosts like CbB it is very inconvenient to use VST3 presets for them!

Good point! I forgot about that one... 🙄

36 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

All I know is VST3 should supposedly use less CPU. I have both installed and usually use VST3 -- just not sure if I should trash VST2.

As a general strategy, it might be advisable to use available DAW features to replace VST2 with VST3 where possible, as in the CbB VST preferences. But don't arbitrarily trash VST2 unless there is a good reason, such as Marled mentioned above (as some VST2 plug-ins still use the classic FXP/FXB preset method)...

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2

One potentially important thing people may not have noticed is that with version 4.2 Battery no longer supports import of 3rd party formats such as soundfont, drumagog, mpc etc.  REX is an exception.

If you need these you can either roll back to 4.1.5 or keep Battery 3 around if you have it.

• Thanks 2