What causes Win10 to classify cwp files or their folders as recently modified, even if the cwp files were NOT recently modified?

Rok TheKasbah

Question

I must have inadvertently changed a setting in Cakewalk.

When I change Windows 10 folder preference to "view recently modified" windows will place cakewalk folders at the top of the list that do not contain recently modified wrk files.

However those folders do contain wrk files that I recently opened to listen to, but I did NOT save or make changes to the wrk file.

So Cakewalk must be making some kind of change to the associated folders themselves simply by me opening the contained file and listening to it.

I think this is my doing somehow because Bandlab was previously not causing any changes to a file that would  cause windows to read it as "recently modified", so I think it is one of the many settings I tinkered with trying to figure out other things.

I have Autosave disabled with both boxes set to zero.

Does anyone know what else could be causing Windows10 to identify wrk files or their folders as being recently saved, even though the wrk files have not been recently saved?

Thanks for any solutions.  : )

Edited by Rok TheKasbah

7 answers to this question

Just an observation, but you really shouldn't be using .wrk files in 2023 - these were deprecated over 20 years ago when Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 was replaced by Sonar 1.0.

Sticking with .wrk files will mean you're potentially losing a lot of things added to your project, simply because they don't support all of the new features.

A while back I went through a process of upgrading all my CWPA9 .wrk files to .cwp files in SONAR Platinum. It only took a couple of hours to do around 150 projects.

Maybe Modified is confused with Accessed? Try Refreshing the window.

Windows 11 seems confused on many levels.

Just opened an old folder and added Date Accessed to the views. Found the CWP I just opened and closed from there reporting 11/30/22, while several other CWPs I never touched reporting yesterday's date. O.o

Hitting Refresh fixed the date for the one I opened but can't explain the others.

BTW, I use Refresh a lot, so thanks to Windows 11 for moving it to a 2nd level window requiring 2 clicks to find. >:(

This is not new to CbB or any particular Windows version. Long before SONAR became CbB, it would create a "MixScenes" subfolder to support the Mix Recall feature on opening a WRK file that would cause the parent's Last Modified date to change. This continues to be the case. Even if you don't re-save the project and the MixScenes folder is discarded/deleted on closing the project, the parent folder's Modified Date will already have been permanently updated  - first by creation of the subfolder and again when it's deleted.

I long ago copied all my old WRK projects to a "Old Files" directory that I use whan I want to resurrect one of them and archived the original directory in a different location specifically for this reason to preserve the Modified Dates. As I convert them to use modern templates, plugins and routing. I move the copied WRK folders/files to a "Converted" subdirectory with a shortcut link to the new project location. I have actually done this a number of times as some projects have been repeatedly updated to work with different MIDI and audio interface and routing configurations over 30+ years.

It's worth taking some time to work out a process and directory structure to reflect your evolving project setup conventions, PC configurations and studio layout, and rebuild old projects using current templates rather than just updating them and resaving in the current release which won't capture all your preferred default project preferences.

• Like 1

@David Bay

My apologies, I did mean to say cwp files, and said wrk files out of habit.

3 hours ago, David Baay said:

This is not new to CbB or any particular Windows version. Long before SONAR became CbB, it would create a "MixScenes" subfolder to support the Mix Recall feature on opening a WRK file that would cause the parent's Last Modified date to change.

The odd thing about this is that for quite a while, Bandlab did not alter any contents of a folder that would cause the files to be read by windows a recent. So if I opened a project and just listened to it, Windows would not read the file or containing folder as having been recently modified.

So I dont know If I changed a setting, or maybe my window configuration or something is set up in a way that is doing something with mix scenes I dont know.

I would just refresh bandlab to default settings, to see if that solved the issues, but there several really crucial preferences and settings I made along the way that drastically improve ergonomics and workflow, and I do not remember what they all are, so I would rather do that.

On 1/10/2023 at 4:30 PM, Rok TheKasbah said:

So I dont know If I changed a setting, or maybe my window configuration or something is set up in a way that is doing something with mix scenes I dont know.

My guess is you're seeing the difference between CWP projects that were created before or after Mix Recall was implemented. Newer projects will have been created with the MixScenes folder already in place when they were first saved so there won't be any changes to the project folder when they're re-opened. I can almost guarantee a fresh install of CbB is not going to behave any differently.