Hobo Train Reisen - Revisited -Final and Mastered

garybrun

Value your thoughts people.
Thanks in advance.
ps.  Its in Norwegian.

Version 3 Mix

Reisen Mastered

Updated the track thread so not so many to see.
I have now mastered this track... I have decided to leave some of the sibilance in as it took away from the track and I don't have the time to individually remove each one of them manually.

Edited by garybrun
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, garybrun said:

Value your thoughts people.
Thanks in advance.

Ps.  Its in Norwegian.

Is that THE Gary Brun?!? Nice to hear you, hope all is well?

Loved the song, and to hear a different language was a treat. Just the emotional content carries through even if I can't understand the words!

Very together vocals, with super tasteful guitar work.

Mix-wise it could be a bit toppy, just a bit too much energy coming through at the level of cymbals and occasional sibilance on vocals. Do you have a master bus compresser boosting up everything? Are you using a multiband compressor on the master bus? If so, maybe experimenting with less upper eq band compression will get you closer to a balance?

This opinion should definitely be verified with others, because as we all sit around getting older, our hearing tends to rot.  :)

I dig the tune!

cheers,

-Tom

• Thanks 1

Hi Gary . . . had a few listens, headphones and small studio monitors . . . really sounds quite balanced to my ears, the drum feel and kick are all there, on the small speakers. The vocals are super clear (and very well sung !) pronunciation is top notch (even though I don't know what they are saying), and I think you've really captured the warmth of the guitar tone, without it sounding overly muddy. I'll have another listen tomorrow on bigger speakers, or when you turn off the "God Particle Limiter" whatever that is ? Lol, sounds like a plugin you should have engaged all the time, eh ? Great tune, Great band !

• Thanks 1

@Bajan Blue
Thanks Nigel.

The God Particle  is what I use now most of the time.
I have this on my main stereo buss and mix  in to  it.
Had to change my way of thinking quite a bit with this plugin.. but it does work and help me a lot.
I really struggle with my mids and highs... (its an age thing) but this really helps to get me in the ball park and with Izotope Tonal Balance.

All this can be quite deceiving though as visuals can often lie to you when your ears are also one of the best things.

Do you think there is too much compression on the main mix.. am I loosing dynamics.
Also Im struggling with de essing..  I use Smoothe for this.

This track has really been difficult as there are loads of  "S"s, "T"s as well as quite a lot going on.

Thanks everyone for your time and comments.
Will do one more mix and them I'm done as this has stretched my capability and Ive had enough as well as having three more tracks to do. 
But I did start with the hardest one!!  🙂

Spot on Gary,  professional mix and master, nice feeling to it, i don't ear any real problem with it.   Personally, i feel people can be to ***** with mastering and when someone listens to it depending on what system they have for playback, they can also get it wrong. What are their EQ settings, are they on flat or their preference and on a monitor or cans etc 

Obviously, if you have a paying customers you want it to be pretty much on it. i running flat EQ and both cans and monitor De-Esser maybe a tiny bit more on the mix not master on the end of odd sentence i hear but i would automate some of those or cut them out, you can loose to much if you De-S everything or on master and its a fine line between having air and no life, your cymbals are not over sibilance on my system, just the odd vocal touch up but not bad, better than most. 

Iv' e been going to a studio quite a bit for some mix and mastering tips, freind is the same engineer for both. I did work for ITV yrs ago on pre and post production, so got to go to many a studio and live broadcasts, so i know how ***** some can be but how wrong they can get it.  I sent my friend a "demo" he said the top end was tad to bright, yeh his EQ was was adding 3db for 7 to 20 KHZ. So it was only a demo and he was adding 3db haha probably because they mess with setting all the time and forget... 

He was on demo mix and was on about the 20the mix , i just thought that was crazy for a demo. He said, he's even done a mix what took nearly 100 mixes.  I guess he enjoys mixing or gets paid by the hour, but that blow my mind.  If i am not in the ball park after a few mixers, then i will never be. I never go over 10 is my rule and i normally do a master half way through as a demo for a marker because our ears can deceive us mixing to long or listening to same song to long.  It's like the old analogue can sound different one day to the next but DSP is always the same so, look out from low end, mid and high which is normally caused in the mix, why i run off a master half way through. 

The God Particle  sounds interesting, i got put off all the plugins, many seem to be quite a gimmick since i been testing demos against stock/.   A compressors is a compressor as Scheps would say, you just want consistency which DPS is.   i only use stock, the 76 is decent with good low end and PC-4K is great on the bus with good sidechain but can take some low end out but the Sonitus you keep the low. Iv'e match these against expensive plugin compressors and there really isn't any difference but i guess its personal preference and easy of use etc 

• Thanks 1

@Old Joad
Thanks you for taking the time to listen.

I have now added revision 3 and also a master.
Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment and listen.
I think its time to move on on this one even though there is some sibilance.
Decided to keep it in as I couldn't clean it up unless I went through each one manually.. this song has a lot of S's and T's

10 hours ago, FreeEarCandy said:

Out of all I think the master is the winner. Good song!

Thank you for taking the time to listen and comment.
On the latest master I took away some of the top end and increased vocal levels.
Did it work?

Edited by garybrun

On 1/9/2023 at 2:25 PM, whoisp said:

The God Particle  sounds interesting, i got put off all the plugins, many seem to be quite a gimmick since i been testing demos against stock/.   A compressors is a compressor as Scheps would say, you just want consistency which DPS is.   i only use stock, the 76 is decent with good low end and PC-4K is great on the bus with good sidechain but can take some low end out but the Sonitus you keep the low. Iv'e match these against expensive plugin compressors and there really isn't any difference but i guess its personal preference and easy of use etc 

I run the UAD Apollox8p and have quite a few compressors and other emulations of top gear.

The God Particle.. just does it for me.
I just use it flat and mix into that and can see whether my mids, and bass are hitting.
Mids are what I struggle with the most.
Try it on a 5 day free trial and see what you think.

Been doing my homework and, cutting a long one, I think the master track has that pro feel that we have come to accept, as said it's a refresher to hear another language and it's a sweet song mixed well .. boy have you come a long way mate ... love it !

ATB and happy new year

Steve

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Supa Reels said:

Been doing my homework and, cutting a long one, I think the master track has that pro feel that we have come to accept, as said it's a refresher to hear another language and it's a sweet song mixed well .. boy have you come a long way mate ... love it !

ATB and happy new year

Steve

Thanks so much Steve.
It is you guys who have taught me nearly everything I know.

And a great New year to you too Sir!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, garybrun said:

It is you guys who have taught me nearly everything I know.

Not too sure about that where I'm concerned 😎 But just to say I've been trying out that god particle plug .. and it's great for finishing/mastering work ...amazing bit'o'kit .. might invest a few bob 😏

• Like 1