Setting up vintage Roland xp-80 on board sounds for use in cakewalk?

Carol Phillips

Question

Hi all.   I am trying to figure out how can I use my awesome onboard Roland xp-80 sounds un cake walk as midi.   It's been a long time since I set up this vintage synth and back in the day we used to b able to access the on board patches from the xp 80 with-in cake walk as midi sounds.  I just can remember how lol?

I have key board set up with midi to USB cable and u can play vst through the keyboard via midi  just fine.   But I want the awesome xp- 80 sounds. So how can I tell cake walk how to access these patches?     

Do I need to dump them ?  What do I do to access these Roland sounds?

I see posts  saying to record  stock sounds though audio interface but  to clarify that's not what I am asking!  I am not looking to record as an audio file . . I am looking to record in midi and access my awesome xp- 80 vintage sound bank! 

Any advice is appreciated! 

:) 

2 answers to this question

Only my system , there is a file called Roland.ins.  This is an instrument definition file for various Roland synths

I opened up this file in standard text editor and I did indeed find references to the XP-80 in there.

Looks like this is the instrument definition file to use.

This file should have the patch names and controller names.

Then you need a way to get the XP-80 into Cakewalk - this can be via an audio signal to your audio interface.

See, page 1309 of the latest PDF Cakewalk by Bandlab for more information on Instrument definitions

8 hours ago, Carol Phillips said:

Hi all.   I am trying to figure out how can I use my awesome onboard Roland xp-80 sounds un cake walk as midi.   It's been a long time since I set up this vintage synth and back in the day we used to b able to access the on board patches from the xp 80 with-in cake walk as midi sounds.  I just can remember how lol?

I have key board set up with midi to USB cable and u can play vst through the keyboard via midi  just fine.   But I want the awesome xp- 80 sounds. So how can I tell cake walk how to access these patches?     

Do I need to dump them ?  What do I do to access these Roland sounds?

I see posts  saying to record  stock sounds though audio interface but  to clarify that's not what I am asking!  I am not looking to record as an audio file . . I am looking to record in midi and access my awesome xp- 80 vintage sound bank! 

Any advice is appreciated! 

:)

You need to connect a MIDI out from your IF to the MIDI in on the xp-80 and have the xp-80 connected to audio equipment of some sort. If your MIDI cable has input and output then you just need to enable MIDI output to the device in cakewalk.