Tone Empire LVL 01 - AI trained Audio Compressor ⭕

cclarry

10 minutes ago, mibby said:

-- OR --

You can buy Michael Brauer's unit for $8500! (I was unfamiliar with the style of compressor and Google came up with this!)

https://reverb.com/item/64236080-michael-brauer-gates-sta-level-tube-compressor-limiter

I don't believe it's a Gates/Collins/Retro unit they modeled.  The pic on their site looks like a Fairchild 670 clone (the Analogue Tube version I believe).  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toffo said:

AI is the next frontier in audio plugins but for now it just feels like a buzz word.

Sounds like a buzz word in this context to me.  That said, the "AI" iZotope has I think produces results worthy of the title.  One of course can argue against it actually being intelligent...but it clearly is capable of altering audio to match characteristics that must have taken a very long time to compile into a set of characteristics we expect to hear as mix ready.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jan Schmitz said:

BeatSkillz plugins are pretty much universally hated.

They slapped some anamorphic GUIs on and thought of a less juvenile brand name and people are buying it. 🤦‍♂️

Don’t know who beatskillz are but I have Tone Empirw Firechild and it’s great. Love the mix of algo and convolution they used  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, tom said:

Don’t know who beatskillz are but I have Tone Empirw Firechild and it’s great. Love the mix of algo and convolution they used  

Happy for you.

I have like 4 of their plugins and consider all of them useless.

Wonder what their transfer policy is.

11 hours ago, Jan Schmitz said:

BeatSkillz plugins are pretty much universally hated.

They slapped some anamorphic GUIs on and thought of a less juvenile brand name and people are buying it. 🤦‍♂️

I think hated is a strong word. I have some Beatskillz plugins and they are mostly mweh (and free, I think I only paid for that 90s Keyz thing). But I didn't know they also had Tone Empire. I only have LocNess (and perhaps NeuralQ for free) and that thing is awesome on drums.

4 hours ago, Nick Blanc said:

I think hated is a strong word. I have some Beatskillz plugins and they are mostly mweh (and free, I think I only paid for that 90s Keyz thing). But I didn't know they also had Tone Empire. I only have LocNess (and perhaps NeuralQ for free) and that thing is awesome on drums.

I was thinking NeuralQ was the most resourse intensitve plugin I ever tried using.  Did they fix that or are you using a super computer?

I uninstalled it within an hour if memory serves me correctly.  Not that it didn't sound good, but computer resources are valuable.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

I was thinking NeuralQ was the most resourse intensitve plugin I ever tried using.  Did they fix that or are you using a super computer?

I uninstalled it within an hour if memory serves me correctly.  Not that it didn't sound good, but computer resources are valuable.  

I'm basically running a super computer. I got the latest I9 last year with all sorts of bells and whistles. I don't really notice heavy CPU usage from any plugin.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brian Walton said:

YES! But I they updated it. I emailed support after I had the same experience with the freebie and got back a very "meh" and unimpressive response from them about it saying "well it's using neural routing" or something useless crap like that - which took them off my "developers to watch list" immediately.   

Then I tried NeuralQ again a few months ago out of curiosity and it didn't immediately gobble up my CPU cycles like it did the first time around.  I didn't run it through its paces in a mix, but I'm hopeful they updated it.

I own Lochness, OptoRed and Model 5000 and like them all pretty well.   ... @tom  And NOW I'm re-curious about the Firechild again too.  Good to have alternatives. :)   (edit - I just watched the SnakeOil guy pan the Firechild but MixbusTV seems to like it.)

PS.  @Jan Schmitz I remember reading a while ago that the Dev of Beatskill wanted to create a top tier plugin brand with Tone Empire, but can't seem to find it  now.

Edited by mibby
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mibby said:

YES! But I they updated it. I emailed support after I had the same experience with the freebie and got back a very "meh" and unimpressive response from them about it saying "well it's using neural routing" or something useless crap like that - which took them off my "developers to watch list" immediately.   

Then I tried NeuralQ again a few months ago out of curiosity and it didn't immediately gobble up my CPU cycles like it did the first time around.  I didn't run it through its paces in a mix, but I'm hopeful they updated it.

I own Lochness, OptoRed and Model 5000 and like them all pretty well.   ... @tom  And NOW I'm re-curious about the Firechild again too.  Good to have alternatives. :)   (edit - I just watched the SnakeOil guy pan the Firechild but MixbusTV seems to like it.)

PS.  @Jan Schmitz I remember reading a while ago that the Dev of Beatskill wanted to create a top tier plugin brand with Tone Empire, but can't seem to find it  now.

There’s a good gearspace thread on the Firechild, some very respected members praising it and that’s what got me to try it. I got it at $19 which was the deciding factor tbh 😂

• Like 2

I encourage eveybody here to slow down purchases and gas and focus on masterring what you have , sell what you don t use and buy what will make a real’diff in inspiration and work execution ...

• Great Idea 1