Dark Lord of the Seth?

scottcmusic

Greetings. There used to a very cool “drum kit” that came stock with Session Drummer 2 & 3 back when our DAW was still called Sonar that was samples of an awesome drum machine … I think. It was called “Dark Lord of the Seth.” I loved the sound of this kit but now I can’t seem to find anything like it. I was wondering if any of you electronic drum gurus might happen to know what drum machine was used for those samples? That way maybe I can find something similar. I need those sounds back. Loved the kick, snare and hi hat. If not, could somebody recommend something with comparable sounds?

Just for a refresher of the sounds, here’s a song I did using it from many years ago. You can really hear it during the breakdown at the 1:48 mark of the video below. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B2Y1NLsfvt4

Edited by scottcmusic

According to the preset, the samples are from a TR808.

If you have

• a Cakewalk user account created during 2014 through 2017 and 
  • purchased a version of a Cakewalk DAW with a downloadable installer containing Session Drummer 2/3

Download and use Session Drummer or at least grab the samples from the plug-in. 

• Great Idea 1

Thanks Scook. I do have all that. I was just looking at my old laptop that I did this music on, and in the system folder there is some files with the correct name, however it’s not loose samples in there. There’s the two kits: DarkLordOfTheSeth_Kit1 and DarkLordOfTheSeth_Kit2, but they have the file ending .prog … I’m assuming that’s some kind of Session Drummer 3 native program format. I’m thinking that’s useless without the actual plug-in installed. Not sure about that. I wonder if Addictive Drums ( what I’m running now for drums ) would know what to do with it?

But yeah, I hopefully can do a partial install of Sonar and just only install Session Drummer 3? Never done that before, but worth a try. I believe what stopped me before was, I don’t think it was ever released in 64 bit and that’s what I’m running now. 

Unless you know how to find the loose samples?

In session drummer a preset (aka program, the files with prog extension) consist of

• kit files - sfz files
  • pattern files - MIDI clips

sfz files contain information mostly about when to play what sample and where the samples are located. sfz files are plain text and may be viewed in any text editor.

The default location for SD3 samples are kit specific folders under C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins\Session Drummer 3\Contents\Kits

Addictive Drums uses proprietary file formats and has no facility to work with 3rd party files. It is their drum kits or nothing.

Installing Session Drummer depends on which DAW it came with. Through SONAR X3, the advanced install options permits installation of individual plug-ins. The last series of SONAR did not have an advanced install option instead opting for breaking the installer into smaller units. For most this means installing the DAW then running the individual installers as desired. There are some detailed discussions about legacy installs. Nothing has changed since thing forum was created. Here is a link to a legacy install thread

Great info. I appreciate it very much. Shouldn’t be too hard to find something that plays back these samples then. But if nothing else I’m relieved to know they are just TR808 sounds. It should be pretty easy to find something that will give me that. Heck, I might even already have an Addictive drums pack that has them. For some reason I thought these samples were from something more obscure like a Roland CR-78. It’s just very simple electronic drum sounds that sit in a mix really well and aren’t overly hyped. Perfect for what I do. Thanks again. 

Looking at all the pieces of the Seth kit, there are a couple not using TR808 samples. They use some of the Cakewalk=Dlots samples.

The sfz's I looked at do not use layers so Sitala is a good choice if one does not want to run Session Drummer.

• Great Idea 1

Yeah … this thing looks really cool. Thanks abacab. Even the default 808 sounds seem really usable. I appreciate the lead. Yes, scook, I think the Toms are different in the dark lord program. This kind of electric drums are perfect for what I do, I’m thinking more like Genesis and Peter Gabriel than I am Dr Dre or something along those lines. 

Edited by scottcmusic
  • Like 1