PETER GABRIEL - Brand New orig track dropped today called Panopticom from up and coming new album I/O

aidan o driscoll

On 1/8/2023 at 10:57 AM, paulo said:

The movie rights are still available if anyone is interested.

Sounds better than most of the movies getting greenlit these days. I'm interested!!!

Just pop 'round my place whenever it's convenient so we can discuss terms.

• Haha 1

On 1/6/2023 at 9:48 AM, aidan o driscoll said:

GREAT to have PETER GABRIEL back with NEW ORIGINAL Material.

First track called Panopticom from up and coming new album I/O .. ENJOY.

Touring in May/June 2023 in EUROPE but also the USA ..

The shows AND for ‘Panopticom’ features long-time collaborators:

Tony Levin - BASS
David Rhodes - GUITARS
Manu Katché - DRUMS
Brian Eno - SYNTHS and BELLS

Additional backing vocals are from Ríoghnach Connolly of The Breath.

FURTHER DETAIL HEREhttps://superdeluxeedition.com/news/new-song-from-peter-gabriel/

Turn up the vocal in the first few lines. 😮 

I discovered Mr. Gabriel's solo work via a copy of Peter Gabriel 2 aka "Scratch" from a cutout bin (some of my best discoveries were cutout bin scores) in 1979 and then acquired the rest of his catalog. It was part of my introduction to the New York No Wave/post punk thang. He and Robert Fripp kinda touched down there for a couple of years.

I got to see him on the So tour, and it was as great a show as I had hoped, but his output after that....it got kinda....sedate and unadventurous. When he and Kate Bush fell in love with the Fairlight, they started to lose me. My tastes were changing rapidly in the early 80's. I liked him weird, not radio-friendly.

My first thought upon listening to this new song was "sounds like a General MIDI demo." Also my second and third thoughts. It sounds very "gridded" and not in a cool EDM sort of way. The sounds he's using seem to have continued down the deflavorized path begun with the Fairlight.

His cover of Arcade Fire's "My Body is a Cage" was pretty awesome, I must say.

I've just made an amazing discovery.....

I started making it when this thread was first posted, but I didn't fully make it until just now....... and it's truly mind-blowing!

Three times previously I started listening to the track and every time had the same initial thoughts...hmm this might well be better than I expected. I like the way it starts, I like the sound palette....... but every time I found myself distracted by the most trivial of things and never made it through the whole track.

Today, I tried again and before long I was thinking that the OP must sound really strange in the minds of those people who think that typed capital letters is equal to shouting. Anyway, I soon moved on to contemplating why the fluff I occasionally find  in my navel is always blue even though I don't really wear much blue clothing and then it dawned on me that this must be what is like for people listening to my stuff because that same inability to pay attention for the whole track....... that's exactly what happens to every person every time I play someone one of my tracks.

This clearly only means one thing........

I am equal to Peter Gabriel.

I know, right ?

Mind Blown.

Edited by paulo

17 minutes ago, paulo said:

I've just made an amazing discovery.....

I started making it when this thread was first posted, but I didn't fully make it until just now....... and it's truly mind-blowing!

Three times previously I started listening to the track and every time had the same initial thoughts...hmm this might well be better than I expected. I like the way it starts, I like the sound palette....... but every time I found myself distracted by the most trivial of things and never made it through the whole track.

Today, I tried again and before long I was thinking that the OP must sound really strange in the minds of those people who think that typed capital letters is equal to shouting. Anyway, I soon moved on to contemplating why the fluff I occasionally find  in my navel is always blue even though I don't really wear much blue clothing and then it dawned on me that this must be what is like for people listening to my stuff because that same inability to pay attention for the whole track....... that's exactly what happens to every person every time I play someone one of my tracks.

This clearly only means one thing........

I am equal to Peter Gabriel.

I know, right ?

Mind Blown.

Sorry Paulo, I read up to "sound palette" but got distracted!  I'll try again later right after, wait... SQUIRREL!!! 😁

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, paulo said:

Today, I tried again and before long I was thinking that the OP must sound really strange in the minds of those people who think that typed capital letters is equal to shouting.

TBH @paulo I intend caps more as a highlight thing than shouting.

In the OP ( which ironically you also did in caps :D ) I wrote:

"GREAT to have PETER GABRIEL back with NEW ORIGINAL Material."

I was using caps to get across that its great to see PG on the go with Original new material and an album/tour on the way.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

TBH @paulo I intend caps more as a highlight thing than shouting.

In the OP ( which ironically you also did in caps :D ) I wrote:

"GREAT to have PETER GABRIEL back with NEW ORIGINAL Material."

I was using caps to get across that its great to see PG on the go with Original new material and an album/tour on the way.

I get that and I really don't care one way or the other. I'm not one of those people. It just struck me how odd/funny it would presumably sound to those that are of that mindset. Try reading it to yourself while shouting the capitalised words and you'll see what I mean. It's no wonder those types are so delicate and confused if their world is really like that. 😀

On 1/6/2023 at 4:30 PM, aidan o driscoll said:

As I said above @hockeyjx .. he is touring WITH THAT TOP NOTCH BAND this summer. In Europe May/June and in USA in the fall

https://petergabriel.com/news/i-o-the-tour-announced/

"The tour will then continue in North America in the late summer/fall with dates and ticket information to follow."

Band live is:

Tony Levin - BASS
David Rhodes - GUITARS
Manu Katché - DRUMS
Brian Eno - SYNTHS and BELLS
Additional backing vocals are from Ríoghnach Connolly of The Breath

The BEST gig I was ever at was here in Ireland in 90s at a big venue in Dublin called THE POINT. It was Gabriels SECRET WORLD Tour. Incredible, still have shivers thinking about it today.

Being in Ireland SINEAD O CONNOR guest appearance did DONT GIVE UP, BLOOD OF EDEN

I worked that gig when I worked at a statium. I showed up 5 hours early to see their sound check. Then watched the show from the corner. Very cool show. Seeing Levin warm up was amazing.

Edited by telecode 101
  • Like 2

Every time I watch the DVD's I had (might still have actually!) of a couple of his concerts, I'm always struck by the thought that, if he wanted to, he could have easily been a cult leader.  He just has the look and charisma.

See him bounce around in that big, clear ball though is hilarious! 😆

• Like 1