Focusrite interface problem

Andrew Pentecost

Question

I am trying to get Cakewalk up and running. It works fine with the ASIO4ALL driver (but latency is unacceptable).  My Focusrite 18i20 interface works OK to play soft synths but as soon as I press record I lose sound playback and just get a continous whine (not feedback). Midi information is recorded OK but I can't hear what I'm playing! Has anyone else experienced this and/or know how to solve it? Thanks in advance.

3 answers to this question

I had just updated the Focusrite driver and it works differently now. The hardware was locked on 16 samples. I changed this to 128 and it now works perfectly with no latency. Thanks very much for your advice.

I also checked out the ASIO link and it doesn't seem to be free (it came up with a screen requesting a license purchase). It seems quite complicated and the instructions wouldn't open in Acrobat Reader for me. Thankfully, I don't need it anyway.

• Like 1

Those Focusrite drivers can be finnicky, it always pays to make sure you have the latest one, they can update frequently sometimes. Second gen is a bit better than first gen. I think it is also important to report it to Focusrite as well, I had a problem with a 2i4 and Studio One once, I told them about it and they came out with an update to fix it.