THE LONDON WAY

Supa Reels

Lyrics capture the history, mystery, beauty, misery and utter madness of London - well supported by the video. The guitars sometimes go just slightly out of time/ sync - like a phase issue - but not enough to distract - feels like it might be intentional in which case I think it definitely works well.

Well thought out story and well executed - enjoyed it.

Andy

• Like 1

I didn't pick up on any timing issues as major. I probably would have missed it completely if not for above comments. Nothing overt I can hear.

The guitar and vocal parts were excellent as was the lyrics which I feel relayed a very good sense of the place, although I fear maybe a somewhat rose colored view, but that's good it focuses on the positive and people generally don't want to hear songs with bad things about where they live. They say there are more tourists in London than regular citizens. I don't know if this is true because I've never been there. Maybe similar to New York which I have been to, when I look at someone there I don't know if they are from 'there' or a far flug country lol.

The dreamy style lends itself to a nice reflective feel almost as if I were reliving someone else's childhood. 

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AndyB01 said:

Lyrics capture the history, mystery, beauty, misery and utter madness of London - well supported by the video. The guitars sometimes go just slightly out of time/ sync - like a phase issue - but not enough to distract - feels like it might be intentional in which case I think it definitely works well.

Well thought out story and well executed - enjoyed it.

Andy

11 hours ago, KSband said:

It's a pretty song. I agree with Andy, there seems to be some timing issues.  Might sound better with less Fx on the the guitar.

1 hour ago, Bajan Blue said:

Agree with what Andy and KS said re some minor timing issues

my only other comment, which is a personal thing and can be ignored! is I think the arrangement could do with a change up somewhere

Apart from that, I liked it

Nigel

18 minutes ago, Tim Smith said:

I didn't pick up on any timing issues as major. I probably would have missed it completely if not for above comments. Nothing overt I can hear.

The guitar and vocal parts were excellent as was the lyrics which I feel relayed a very good sense of the place, although I fear maybe a somewhat rose colored view, but that's good it focuses on the positive and people generally don't want to hear songs with bad things about where they live. They say there are more tourists in London than regular citizens. I don't know if this is true because I've never been there. Maybe similar to New York which I have been to, when I look at someone there I don't know if they are from 'there' or a far flug country lol.

The dreamy style lends itself to a nice reflective feel almost as if I were reliving someone else's childhood. 

Thanks for sharing!

Thankyou for listening and the comments. Yes there are timing issues with the song as Andy noticed, and your right about the arrangement Nigel, in that it is a long song and the interest, musically speaking, can be boring ... I wrote these lyrics to play out my childhood and I'm afraid I didn't give the  time I should have to the arrangement, having spent most of it on the video, but I have to accept your point ..although you say you liked ,it and that means a lot 🤝.

I still call myself a Londoner although I now live in N Devon. I went back to my old childhood house in Brixton some years back with my wife and we were shocked at the changes. We lived in Gresham Rd back in the day, and we felt at home, spoke to a few old guys who knew Bowie and a bit of history, and maybe because we  had lived there many years ago we didn't feel out of place, but the London we knew was gone, yep all the old stuff was there The Tower, Buck Palace Whitehall etc, shops and markets but it's lost it's soul which, I think, any Londoner who lived there years ago would say .... and so I wrote this when we got back ...the comment Tim made (The dreamy style lends itself to a nice reflective feel almost as if I were reliving someone else's childhood ) is, to say the least, profound 👍Thankyou for taking the time to listen.

All the best

Steve

5 minutes ago, Supa Reels said:

Thankyou for listening and the comments. Yes there are timing issues with the song as Andy noticed, and your right about the arrangement Nigel, in that it is a long song and the interest, musically speaking, can be boring ... I wrote these lyrics to play out my childhood and I'm afraid I didn't give the  time I should have to the arrangement, having spent most of it on the video, but I have to accept your point ..although you say you liked ,it and that means a lot 🤝.

I still call myself a Londoner although I now live in N Devon. I went back to my old childhood house in Brixton some years back with my wife and we were shocked at the changes. We lived in Gresham Rd back in the day, and we felt at home, spoke to a few old guys who knew Bowie and a bit of history, and maybe because we  had lived there many years ago we didn't feel out of place, but the London we knew was gone, yep all the old stuff was there The Tower, Buck Palace Whitehall etc, shops and markets but it's lost it's soul which, I think, any Londoner who lived there years ago would say .... and so I wrote this when we got back ...the comment Tim made (The dreamy style lends itself to a nice reflective feel almost as if I were reliving someone else's childhood ) is, to say the least, profound 👍Thankyou for taking the time to listen.

All the best

Steve

Hi Steve

I lived in London back in the early 90's - I really haven't been back much, but we did go there January 2022  - wow, what a change and not for the better - seriously did not like what has happened to London - also I think if I were to consider moving back to London, I would need to learn a lot of foreign languages first🤪

Nigel

• Like 1

Hello Supa Reels

You have a good voice.  I think you can move the guitar back and to the sides in the intro more to let the vocals have their own space. I'm picking up a lot of guitar timing issues as well.  There's also a lot of energy around 200-500hz? area creating a lot of mud in the low end -mostly in the back and sporadic . Perhaps I'm picking this out because there is no drums. I was waiting for something to break out in the percussion or chord change area that never arrived, so the song seems to just cycle. The lyrics are great. Good story. Nice pictures and video, and as I said, you have a very good voice and delivery.  Thanks for sharing it!

Dean

• Like 1

Just now, Bajan Blue said:

Hi Steve

I lived in London back in the early 90's - I really haven't been back much, but we did go there January 2022  - wow, what a change and not for the better - seriously did not like what has happened to London - also I think if I were to consider moving back to London, I would need to learn a lot of foreign languages first🤪

Nigel

I lived there for around 20 odd years in the 50s till we moved to a place called Upper Norwood, then Crystal Palace ..then eventually here in Westward Ho! ... Have to laugh mate, you say if you if you considered moving back to London you would need to learn a lot of languages .... but I'd say you need to have a lot of money first ... and I mean lots 😎

Good chat

Steve

9 minutes ago, FreeEarCandy said:

Hello Supa Reels

You have a good voice.  I think you can move the guitar back and to the sides in the intro more to let the vocals have their own space. I'm picking up a lot of guitar timing issues as well.  There's also a lot of energy around 200-500hz? area creating a lot of mud in the low end -mostly in the back and sporadic . Perhaps I'm picking this out because there is no drums. I was waiting for something to break out in the percussion or chord change area that never arrived, so the song seems to just cycle. The lyrics are great. Good story. Nice pictures and video, and as I said, you have a very good voice and delivery.  Thanks for sharing it!

Dean

Thankyou Dean,

You comments are well taken and are correct. I don't think I will revisit this anytime soon but don't think your advice will be ignored when I do ... sometimes you just tire of the song your working on and have to take a break ... I thank you for listening and valid crits.

ATB

Steve

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Supa Reels,

Dean here.  I don't know how my name got attached to the message  from 1/7/2023.  I think that should be credited to FreeEarCandy not me.  i am not that qualified to make those kind of recommendations. 

I just really enjoyed, and still do , like How It Used To Be! 

Edited by Dean
Got Title Wrong
  • Haha 1

Steve, I've enjoyed this song for some time, and the last time I heard it, I had different monitors.  Your singing and lyrics give this song soul and depth, as they're very convincing.  The video just goes so well with the song, which shows your growing skill in video.  All in all, a good package!  Should you decide to remix, I suggest a bit less compression on the master which might de-emphasize other issues.  I look forward to hearing more!

• Like 1

On 2/4/2023 at 9:15 PM, Lynn Wilson said:

Steve, I've enjoyed this song for some time, and the last time I heard it, I had different monitors.  Your singing and lyrics give this song soul and depth, as they're very convincing.  The video just goes so well with the song, which shows your growing skill in video.  All in all, a good package!  Should you decide to remix, I suggest a bit less compression on the master which might de-emphasize other issues.  I look forward to hearing more!

Many thanks Lynn for your detailed listening and as always good advice. My intention is to do a complete revamp .. but as it as so long I need the time to make it worthwhile, watch this space LOL

Take care

Steve