New device, audio dropouts

Brian Hunsaker

I'm recording at 96k, 24 bit. Even when playing back the track (not recording), the audio drops out sometimes (doesn't stop, but skips a bit). It's a brand new interface, the MOTU mk5 Ultralite.

I tried to change the buffer size to the max (21.3msec, 2048 samples) but it doesn't help. Also, I moved the song folder to the C drive since it's solid state and faster.

What else should I try to troubleshoot? I'm on Windows 10 OriginPC Laptop that's pretty fast. 6 cores at 4.54Ghz and 32MB RAM. 

I also have an Audient ID44 interface but I stopped using it because it records pops and crackling artifacts every 10 seconds or so. It does not however have any issues playing back the same song. FYI, Audient support was extremely slow (3-4 days for each reply) and didn't offer anything that helped.

Both devices connect through USB-C cable to the Thunderbolt port.

Thanks,

-Brian

Edited by Brian Hunsaker

21 minutes ago, Byron Dickens said:

The problem is almost certainly not -and never was - your interface.  Likely some other app running in the background is interrupting things. Antivirus is a frequent culprit.

Hmm, I just uninstalled MalwareBytes but it still happens. You recommend doing what? Looking at process explorer and shutting things down to see what works?

I restored my laptop to factory condition to try and fix the Audient, which used to work. It didn't help.

Also forgot to mention I'm not using a USB hub. Those are terrible.

Edited by Brian Hunsaker

I've found this page, referencing settings that don't exist anymore! It looked promising but alas, gone.

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Troubleshooting.20.html

Unless anyone knows where they've moved? There is no Audio -> Sync and Caching page in Preferences.

Oh....I see it, you have to click the "Advanced" radio button to make it appear. Let me try this.

Edited by Brian Hunsaker

1 hour ago, Brian Hunsaker said:

So hey I think the settings on that page above fixed it. For whoever finds this in the future. I'll try the settings with my Audient ID44 also and see if it works properly again. The MOTU is good to go.

That's Great... Something you may want to try and observe and\or pay attention to... It may not be an issue for you since your Ultralite is using CueMix and not the WebApp...  My 828es uses the WebApp and it can at times be a CPU hog, especially with a pretty extensive mix if my Web Browser is still in "Focus" and even If the Browser window is open behind Cakewalk... (I use Firefox but it does the same with MS Edge, even wosre...) If I minimize the window it drops the CPU load... I've seen it as high as 8% of my CPU, higher than the Cakewalk project I was working on...