Scrub tool in track window makes Cakewalk freeze. Bug?

pulsewalk

33 minutes ago, pulsewalk said:

By the way. It is not clear whether you're pressing the left mouse button in track view with the Scrub Tool selected.
Doing what you describe you're doing, doesn't result in any freeze for me either. It first freezes when I actually press the left mouse button in track view with the Scrub Tool selected, which is equivalent to actually using the Scrub Tool there.

I'm trying it on my laptop - no mouse involved, just using the left part of the track pad to scrub

In my case, it is quite predictable when I have several (i.e., maybe 20) VI tracks, not when it's just audio tracks. I don't even have to click in the time line. Just mousing over it will do it. In that screen shot I posted earlier, that was a mouse-over, not a click. During the freeze the mouse is "stuck" in the timeline and can't be moved out of it.

On 10/15/2023 at 5:45 AM, billp said:

In my case, it is quite predictable when I have several (i.e., maybe 20) VI tracks, not when it's just audio tracks. I don't even have to click in the time line. Just mousing over it will do it. In that screen shot I posted earlier, that was a mouse-over, not a click. During the freeze the mouse is "stuck" in the timeline and can't be moved out of it.

Yeah, all my projects have lots of tracks. So that could be the deciding factor.

17 minutes ago, pulsewalk said:

Yeah, all my projects have lots of tracks. So that could be the deciding factor.

If you have a lot of soft synths  and FX in a project it could also be related to a specific instrument or FX plugin rather than the overall plugin load or track. count.

I concur with @David Baay on the functionality in my current build/version. AFAIK there is NO LATCH available for the 'scrub tool' as it does not appear in the tools HUD. The only way that I can invoke it is by holding the 'J' key on the QUERTY while scrubbing directly over notes in PRV, or directly over an audio track in the TV.

If you have a mouse button that triggers/latches the scrub tool, that is where I would look for a modification.
I cannot make it crash/hang here. It does nothing in the TV when on a MIDI track, IME.

Edited by OutrageProductions

7 hours ago, OutrageProductions said:

AFAIK there is NO LATCH available for the 'scrub tool' as it does not appear in the tools HUD. The only way that I can invoke it is by holding the 'J' key on the QUERTY while scrubbing directly over notes in PRV, or directly over an audio track in the TV.

Actually it will latch if you only tap J momentarily. This is how I've been using it, and how I assume the people having issues are using it since it would be hard to 'forget' to release the J key when moving from the PRV to the Track View. Holding it for more than a second puts it in a mode where it will turn off when the key is released. But I don't see issues either way.

@David Baay it looks like your suspicion about its being related to a plugin was correct.

I finally traced the scrub issue down to plugins on my monitor buss. One is the SoundID Reference plugin. When I disable it, the scrub works as expected in TV. Ozone 11 also causes a lockup. FabFilter plugins do not as far as I can determine.  The unlatched scrub mode is the way to go to avoid the problem since the tool state reverts to the last tool selected.