Scrub tool in track window makes Cakewalk freeze. Bug?

pulsewalk

Is there any valid reason why (accidentally) using the scrub tool in the track window would make Cakewalk freeze and drop out? It freezes for about a couple of minutes or so.

It happens when I use the scrub tool in the piano roll, and then clicking anywhere with the same mouse pointer/tool in the track window. It's not that I want to use the scrub tool in track view (I'm not even sure that would work?) but rather that I forget to change back to another tool, like the smart tool, before I go to the track window.

This is quite irritating. Is this a bug? I guess it should not be like this. I'm using the latest version: 2022.11 (Build 021, 64-bit) on Win 10.

Edited by pulsewalk

I know this won't help you, but it happens to me too, being a heavy PRV user, particularly when I click on the timeline in track view. It is irritating, so irritating in fact, that I finally trained myself to hit the "S"(elect) key whenever I switch to track view...most of the time. Every time I think I should make a vid and submit it, but then I can't reproduce it.

Edited by billp
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

Still nothing on this? Every time I press the left mouse button in the track window when the scrub tool, Cakewalk freezes! It can take 30 seconds or even a couple of minutes before it reacts again. As soon as it is clicked even once in the track window, with the scrub tool selected, Cakewalk freezes.

This have to be a bug.

I'm using the latest Cakewalk version on Win 10 Pro.

I'm sure this doesn't help...but I'll be honest with you.  I've used Cakewalk since the mid 90's and I learned early on that scrubbing is a surefire way to a crash...and I haven't even tried it since then.

I'd be curious to see if any other long-timers have always felt this way.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HOOK said:

I'm sure this doesn't help...but I'll be honest with you.  I've used Cakewalk since the mid 90's and I learned early on that scrubbing is a surefire way to a crash...and I haven't even tried it since then.

I'd be curious to see if any other long-timers have always felt this way.

Yeah, I'm also a CW user since the mid 90's, but I've not used that tool that much before. Only on certain occasions. And I can't remember if it crashed CWPA.

I've had lots of CWPA crashes in my days though... too many! 😅

I'm not seeing any issues here with scrub in the PRV.

It's worth noting that AFAIK the MIDI scrub tool only works in the PRV - so using it on the track pane won't work (unless you switch to inline PRV), but it shouldn't freeze up.

Do you have any custom mouse drivers installed?  I've certainly had problems in the past with some custom mouse drivers - most recently with the Kensington software for my trackball.  Uninstalling them and switching to the generic Microsoft driver fixed it for me.

@msmcleod

The scrub tool always works fine in PRV. The problem is with track view. If you switch from PRV to track view with the mouse in scrub state, and click in the track view time line, it can freeze. About half the time, if you wait long enough, it recovers with a series of audio engine dropout messages, spaced several seconds apart. Otherwise you need to kill it. This has happened to me since at least v8.0 and with and without the standard MS mouse driver. 

The scrub tool does work in track view on audio tracks. A project with only audio seems not to have this problem. I find it happens only when I'm using VI's. Next time it happens I'll get a minidump.

It would be ideal if the mouse mode could be set to shift to some other tool mode when you switch from PRV/scrub to track view.

Interesting, I'm not really a scrub tool user so I just gave it a go then.

Like Mark said, no issues in PRV, and for me I had no crashes or hangs when I went back to Track View, but is this expected to bypass any effects when you scrub in TV? No effects (amp sims, etc) or VSTi synths are sounding, so I'm just getting raw clip data and no synths at all.

8 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

Like Mark said, no issues in PRV, and for me I had no crashes or hangs when I went back to Track View, but is this expected to bypass any effects when you scrub in TV? No effects (amp sims, etc) or VSTi synths are sounding, so I'm just getting raw clip data and no synths at all.

Well that's what I hear too so it's consistent...  I was expecting effects to be applied to the audio.

• Like 1

Here's a screen cap. As soon as I click in the time line, the mouse pointer is locked in that range. The two toast messages don't show, both of which are audio engine dropouts (12) "[Internal] Internal audio buffer memory limit overflow." As soon as the second toast clears, the mouse is active again.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/31/2023 at 10:01 AM, msmcleod said:

I'm not seeing any issues here with scrub in the PRV.

It's worth noting that AFAIK the MIDI scrub tool only works in the PRV - so using it on the track pane won't work (unless you switch to inline PRV), but it shouldn't freeze up.

Do you have any custom mouse drivers installed?  I've certainly had problems in the past with some custom mouse drivers - most recently with the Kensington software for my trackball.  Uninstalling them and switching to the generic Microsoft driver fixed it for me.

No it's just generic mouse driver I believe, for a Logitech mouse. I've never ever had problems with this mouse in any other software.

And I don't have any issues with the scrub tool in the PRV. I have problems with it in track view, as can bee read in my post. It looks like I'm not the only one having this problem either.

On 1/31/2023 at 3:51 PM, Lord Tim said:

I don't have issues in the PRV either. That's not the problem. The problem is that when you have the scrub tool selected and accidentally press the mouse button anywhere in TRACK VIEW, Cakewalk freezes. It should not do that. Either it should do nothing (no function) or it should scrub. But for sure it should not freeze Cakewalk.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Still no words on a fix for this?

It is really a pain to have Cakewalk freeze when accidentally using the Scrub Tool in track view. It freezes for several minutes. Last time it didn't even recover after several minutes. Had to do a CTRL + ALT + DEL and force it to close, and restart the whole thing. Good thing I saved just before this. Otherwise it wouldn't have been pretty.

Why can't they make the Scrub Tool non-responsive/unusable in track view? That way, the whole DAW wouldn't have to freeze or freeze + crash.

This is certainly a BUG, not least since several users indicate the same thing. Please fix this!

Not seeing this behaviour here. Scrub works fine in the prv on a midi track, switch to Track View and no freezing, even with the scrub tool still enabled. 

The only thing I would say is that scrub doesn't seem to work on audio tracks, just midi. 

But definitely no freezing/crashing when switching views

Edited by Bristol_Jonesey

27 minutes ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

Not seeing this behaviour here. Scrub works fine in the prv on a midi track, switch to Track View and no freezing, even with the scrub tool still enabled. 

The only thing I would say is that scrub doesn't seem to work on audio tracks, just midi. 

But definitely no freezing/crashing when switching views

The best thing would of course be to just disable the functionality of the Scrub Tool in track view, so even if the user accidentally press the left mouse button in track view when the Scrub Tool is selected, then nothing happens.

I'll check this again when updating to the latest build. But I couldn't find anything about this in the changelog for that build, so I guess it's still the same.

I'm not seeing any problems either. Scrub is working in the PRV, on Audio tracks in the TV and on MIDI tracks with Inline PRV enabled, and there is no freezing when switching between docked PRV and TV.

I will say, however, that I have experienced crashes in the past with scrub tool and had learned to avoid it as HOOK mentioned earlier in the thread. I would hazard a guess that this might have been an audio driver issue, and the issue that @pulsewalk is seeing might also be driver-dependent.

Edited by David Baay

31 minutes ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

By the way. It is not clear whether you're pressing the left mouse button in track view with the Scrub Tool selected.
Doing what you describe you're doing, doesn't result in any freeze for me either. It first freezes when I actually press the left mouse button in track view with the Scrub Tool selected, which is equivalent to actually using the Scrub Tool there.

2 minutes ago, David Baay said:

I'm not seeing any problems either. Scrub is working in the PRV, on Audio tracks in the TV and on MIDI tracks with Inline PRV enabled, and there is no freezing when switching between docked PRV and TV.

Please read my last post before this one. No freeze for me either in track view, as long as I don't "use" the scrub tool there.

The Scrub Tool works fine for me in PRV too, no problem there. It's only in Track View it freezes/crashes it for me. And for several others too it seems.

14 minutes ago, pulsewalk said:

Please read my last post before this one. No freeze for me either in track view, as long as I don't "use" the scrub tool there.

Please re-read my post. I'm successfully using it both places. Just to be sure, I spent several minutes going back and forth between the PRV and the TV, and between MIDI tracks and Audio tracks in the TV. I also tried scrubbing back and forth, changing my ASIO buffer size, and trying everything else I could think of to break it. All good so far.

Edited by David Baay