MIDI become no sound

weiyg

Question

i  meet this problem.  if  i don't close Cakewalk and put out the USB of my midi. And when i  put in the USB again,my midi is no sound.   i close Cakewalk and open it again , it is ok .

but , how to let it to refresh or scan my midi input ? thanks for your help.

5 answers to this question

I've found this too. Cakewalk is pretty quick at detecting a MIDI device being removed, but doesn't always pick up new MIDI devices being added. 

I had this yesterday when trying to sample an old MT-32 using my old laptop and swapping out various MIDI devices  (to be fair, in this instance I was using Sonar 8.5... but I've had the same in CbB).

As it stands the only reliable way of getting an updated list of MIDI devices is to restart Cakewalk.

A "Refresh" button on the MIDI Devices preferences pages would be really helpful.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2019 at 5:16 PM, msmcleod said:

I've found this too. Cakewalk is pretty quick at detecting a MIDI device being removed, but doesn't always pick up new MIDI devices being added. [...]

As it stands the only reliable way of getting an updated list of MIDI devices is to restart Cakewalk.

A "Refresh" button on the MIDI Devices preferences pages would be really helpful.

Oh, I agree! Having a Refresh button in Preferences > MIDI > Devices would be solid gold in cases when you’ve forgotten to turn on a USB MIDI device before CbB is started. Also it would be great if the Control Surfaces section at the same time would be refreshed with available in/out ports. The only currently working solution seems to be to restart CbB and reload your most likely large and very load-time-consuming project yet again ...

@msmcleod Now that you're a part of the Cakewalk development team maybe you still feel that such a Refresh button would be really helpful...?

26 minutes ago, Canopus said:

Oh, I agree! Having a Refresh button in Preferences > MIDI > Devices would be solid gold in cases when you’ve forgotten to turn on a USB MIDI device before CbB is started. Also it would be great if the Control Surfaces section at the same time would be refreshed with available in/out ports. The only currently working solution seems to be to restart CbB and reload your most likely large and very load-time-consuming project yet again ...

@msmcleod Now that you're a part of the Cakewalk development team maybe you still feel that such a Refresh button would be really helpful...?

I did look into this. The issue isn't with Cakewalk, it's with Windows not notifying Cakewalk. Sometimes I can wait around 20secs to a minute before Windows finally recognises the devices have changed.

When Windows does notify Cakewalk of device changes, you get a popup dialog right away.

Until Windows actually acknowledges the device exists, a refresh button isn't going to help.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, msmcleod said:

I did look into this. The issue isn't with Cakewalk, it's with Windows not notifying Cakewalk. Sometimes I can wait around 20secs to a minute before Windows finally recognises the devices have changed.

When Windows does notify Cakewalk of device changes, you get a popup dialog right away.

Until Windows actually acknowledges the device exists, a refresh button isn't going to help.

Isn't Noel in tight with the MS people?  Maybe he can pass a note to them.

Kind regards,

tecknot

My experience is my Roland keyboard and my Yamaha midi drums both came with a midi/USB driver. They always reconnect with Cakewalk but I do have to go into preferences and re check the midi input box.
My Akai synth station doesn’t have a midi driver and does not show in preferences until I restart Cakewalk