"Synthfind" refound, with video

PhonoBrainer

Hello travellers. This last appeared on these forums back in April,  originally created 2018 . . . remixing suggestions have been taken and appreciated, and now a vid. Would love any comments on any aspect of things, thanks!

(stream @1440p if you can?)

Soundcloud is also nice:

Edited by PhonoBrainer
  • Like 5

Hi Tom . . . Too much fun ! I remember hearing this one before . . . the video you've done really paints it up as you listen along. I love the smorgasbord of old technology, and the wistful storytelling, lots of amazing dreamlike detail to look at . . . very excellent work ! ! . . . and cudos to your son for his great vocal track !

• Like 1

Wow. Just wow.
The lyrics express my sentiments exactly. I assume Tristan is your son?  Did he write the lyrics?
Since I do some video, I'm totally blown away with what you've done. Must have taken you many hours to put that together.
Excellent!
42 is always the answer.

-Bjorn

• Like 1

On 1/1/2023 at 9:10 PM, noynekker said:

Hi Tom . . . Too much fun ! I remember hearing this one before . . . the video you've done really paints it up as you listen along. I love the smorgasbord of old technology, and the wistful storytelling, lots of amazing dreamlike detail to look at . . . very excellent work ! ! . . . and cudos to your son for his great vocal track !

Thanks Noynekker, I was struck by your use of the term "wistful" - a wonderful description to read. That catches it in large measure. I will definitely pass your vocal comments along to my son, many thanks!

On 1/2/2023 at 12:51 AM, Bajan Blue said:

Hi Tom - Great Track - love the old style synths but what is best for me are the words - having just had a number of GenZ children (not sure what else to call them) stay over Christmas, oh boy you got it spot on!!!!

Great stuff

Nigel

Roger that, Nigel! Although, another message of this song is praise for those kids/young adults who have achieved a personal escape velocity from the planetary gravity of the GenZ mindset. Your comment was much appreciated, thanks!

What's not to like here. I completely enjoyed the walk down memory lane and your take on our current state of affairs. I think from a sound quality approach there is nothing that jumped out at me to mention.  I have a friend that has a basement full of vintage stuff, but as hard as I tried I couldn't encourage him to use it.  He is more of a collector and it appears he has lost all interest in creating music. The word purpose comes to mind every time I think about it, and perhaps the word would also apply to the theme of this project you posted. Seems there is a different purpose behind todays music that I'm not quite able to adjust to.

Dean 

• Like 1

Tom you had fun making all the references, when you got the to Ensoniq and the floppy disk it remined me of something I heard on a program a couple of days ago.

A PFY (Pimply faced youth) asked when he saw a 3 & 1/2 floppy "Why did someone 3D print the save Icon."

Cool tune, nice mix. :) 

• Like 2

Very much enjoyed this visual and listening experience.  Mix sounded good, the video was excellent, the lyrics told a great "wistful" story with some humour and the instrumentation was performed perfectly.  Your son did a great job on vocals.  What's not to like?  This was fun!  Well done indeed!!!

• Like 1

On 1/4/2023 at 12:54 PM, steve@baselines.com said:

I made it to the end and had to leave more praise.  I'm more 70s than 80s but those references are nothing more than relevant genius.  I love this.

Thanks, Steve, glad it worked on your end! I'm never sure if the visuals and references have hit the Goldilocks zone, so I appreciate your comment! Thanks!

On 1/4/2023 at 3:09 PM, mark skinner said:

Cool ! I enjoyed that .  I think that was me , with the pen in the cassette ..           Great Job ..    mark

It was us! It was all of us! Said the dinosaur. Thanks for giving it a listen, much obliged.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2023 at 12:17 PM, bjornpdx said:

Must have taken you many hours to put that together.
Excellent!
42 is always the answer.

-Bjorn

Yup. thanks for that acknowledgement, I'm sure you know how the video is a time beast. I think I started this one back in 2018 or 19, and I just kept at it. I think audio editing is actually more painstaking and difficult than video editing. It's easier to see what works!

many thanks again!

On 1/5/2023 at 3:54 PM, Jesse Screed said:

I did love the Ensoniq ref, great stuff

be well my friend, very cool

Thanks Jesse! I never had an Ensoniq to fill the hours with back in the day, too spendy. Now I've got nearly every synth ever made on a hard drive palette, for cheap, but hardly any time.

Cruel trick, if you think about it.

Edited by PhonoBrainer