Dirty Lies

FreeEarCandy

Well done Dean. Much enjoyed the listen (I'll not mention the length as Nigel covered that).
Only small crits here; that kick is "booming" in the DT 990's here, pretty sure it would "move" some air in the sub.
I'd center that guitar up, and look at the amp sim; lot of "fizz" in the top. Cab emulation? Should be rolling off pretty steep at 5k.
Off course this is the second time I've mentioned that this morning so maybe its the 70 year old "knackered" ears...

t

4 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

Well done Dean. Much enjoyed the listen (I'll not mention the length as Nigel covered that).
Only small crits here; that kick is "booming" in the DT 990's here, pretty sure it would "move" some air in the sub.
I'd center that guitar up, and look at the amp sim; lot of "fizz" in the top. Cab emulation? Should be rolling off pretty steep at 5k.
Off course this is the second time I've mentioned that this morning so maybe its the 70 year old "knackered" ears...

t

Thanks Tom! Glad you enjoyed the listen. I'm also happy to hear your critic. I took a look at the E guitar to see what was being rolled off.  Looks like its your ears today, as both the E rhythm and E lead guitars are rolling off heavy @ 5k.  @ 5k  I'm barely pushing -12 and its hardly visible  at 6-7k on the scale of 0 to -18 db. Most of the energy is sitting between 500 and 5K for the lead and 300 to 5k for the rhythm. The rhythm is panned wide and the lead is 20% to the right. I try to let the snare, kick and bass take center, and push the lead guitar slightly to the right of all that energy coming down the middle. 

While I understand that there seems to be some length rules concerning a song, I never quite understood why? Like you, I grew up in a time when we didn't give much consideration to the length of a song (Suppers Ready by Genesis). While this rule may have some value in the commercial end of things today, I'm not really striving to fit into the modern commercial side of things.  I just want to go where the song takes me in my own head and leave it at that.  I think perhaps Nigel felt that the acoustic guitar intro was unnecessary and should be cut.  That's fair enough. However, I prefer to keep the length intact and not worry about trends. I just listened to some electronics tunes that are 8 min. Pink Floyd shine on you crazy diamond is 13 min +.  Lyrics don't kick in until 5 or 6 min in. Would anyone want to suggest its too long? I don't think so. 

As far as the kick,  you may have a good point. I generally don't push it that hard, but I was told that these new smart phone listeners need that extra energy in the low end, so I go there now. Seems these new devices and their ear buds are very popular.  I feel a bit torn about it myself and I don't know how to accommodate everyone.  Sorry if I hurt your ear drums, Tom. Not intentional. 

Anyway, thank you so much Tom. I really do appreciate hearing  the way it comes across on your end, and much of the critic here has indeed helped. 

Dean

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2023 at 4:11 PM, Larry T. said:

Very nice work on this piece. Worth listening to all the way through to hear how the playing all comes together and jells quietly yet powerfully. Ends a bit too quick, maybe a longer fade out. 🎶🎶🎶🎶

Thanks so much, Larry!