Dirty Lies

FreeEarCandy

The title covers the topic of the song. Credit for the drum track goes to my dear friend Marcelo at homestudio kurumin on soundcloud. Everything recorded and mastered in Calkwalk by Bandlab.  I think this falls into the category of folk rock (nice and easy).  Piano & Organ, Bass, Vocals, Acoustic & Electric Guitars. Enjoy! 

Edited by FreeEarCandy
New Track
  • Like 2

Well done guys!  The song is very compelling with great playing and an interesting arrangement all the way through.   I really thought that the piano brought something special to the whole thing.  The recording, mix and mastering sound pro-level.  This is one to be proud of!

• Like 1

That's a really interesting mix of vocals, it works and holds interest, how the lead is helped by bgv but then the bgv's throw in an occasional aside. Pretty inventive.

Mix is very together, and I like the lead guitar tone. For my money, the intro acoustic guitar was mixed a bit on the tinny bright side, which didn't put the best foot forward as an intro. But the rest of the mix felt quite right.

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1

Hello , I Really enjoyed the song and agree with PhonoBrainers comments. I especially liked the interaction on the vocal tracks. Pretty cool the way some of the phrases swelled into the next ones. I also appreciated the live drums . There are some really good virtual drums out there , but they can't come close to a well recorded drummer. I thought the deep kick was perfect.               Enjoyed it ..  mark

• Like 1

On 1/2/2023 at 12:09 PM, jude77 said:

Well done guys!  The song is very compelling with great playing and an interesting arrangement all the way through.   I really thought that the piano brought something special to the whole thing.  The recording, mix and mastering sound pro-level.  This is one to be proud of!

Hello Jude77!

Marcelo and I appreciate the really nice feedback and encouragement. We both enjoyed sharing it.

On 1/2/2023 at 1:40 PM, PhonoBrainer said:

That's a really interesting mix of vocals, it works and holds interest, how the lead is helped by bgv but then the bgv's throw in an occasional aside. Pretty inventive.

Mix is very together, and I like the lead guitar tone. For my money, the intro acoustic guitar was mixed a bit on the tinny bright side, which didn't put the best foot forward as an intro. But the rest of the mix felt quite right.

cheers,

-Tom

Hello Tom! Thanks for the nice review given and honest reaction about the intro.  The Martin  I used is a full bodied Dreadnought and it normally throws out a lot of low end. Consequentially, I do tend to remove too much of it trying to avoid muddy frequency clashes with the kick and bass. Something I have to work on more. You are not the first to point out the "tinny" character.  Seems to come across that way only when the bass and kick are absent, but cuts in better after things get going. Thanks for lending your good ears! 

Dean

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mark skinner said:

Hello , I Really enjoyed the song and agree with PhonoBrainers comments. I especially liked the interaction on the vocal tracks. Pretty cool the way some of the phrases swelled into the next ones. I also appreciated the live drums . There are some really good virtual drums out there , but they can't come close to a well recorded drummer. I thought the deep kick was perfect.               Enjoyed it ..  mark

Hello Mark! 

Glad you enjoyed the song! Actually, the drums are not live (Steve Slate VST), but Marcelo has a certain talent with virtual drums that is indeed admirable, Nevertheless,  what a great complement, Mark! Thanks for the wonderful feedback!

Dean

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Supa Reels said:

Knock out !   .... only one thing /.... I wish I'd wrote it 😞 Right up my street ....and love the mix (esp the Bass ) and the atmos from that ...  great stuff ..thanks for the post

Steve

Hi Steve! Ha! Cool comment! I'm always looking for like minded people to work with. Maybe something in the future is possible.  I have tons of this sort of stuff in my library that can use some attention and perhaps fresh outside input to take them in new directions. Thanks for taking the time to listen to this recent effort and leaving the cool comment. Marcelo and I enjoyed putting this together and  sharing it. 

Stay well,

Dean

this is so awesome

reminds me of Kansas

if i were to make a suggestion

the vocals in the at 60 sec are bit forward

at 1:50 it works itself out

this is a very good mix

and arrangement

lead vocals maybe a bit more auto mation

cool organ

working guitar tones

to long for the average listener regardless of the fact that the base finall y steps out front

knock 45 seconds off this

pump the bass on the fade out

and damn

put your shingle out

sdifun ;W UK*AY-bbgu9[-h9 3583459034766

• Like 1

On 1/5/2023 at 11:21 AM, Tim Smith said:

Hey Dean,

Nice classic rock vibe to this. Not sure what signal chain you used but the mix is clean and clear. Nice separation of instruments. Great job on it all around IMO.

Hello Tim! Thanks so much. Really glad you enjoyed the tune.

Dean

22 hours ago, Jesse Screed said:

this is so awesome

reminds me of Kansas

if i were to make a suggestion

the vocals in the at 60 sec are bit forward

at 1:50 it works itself out

this is a very good mix

and arrangement

lead vocals maybe a bit more auto mation

cool organ

working guitar tones

to long for the average listener regardless of the fact that the base finall y steps out front

knock 45 seconds off this

pump the bass on the fade out

and damn

put your shingle out

sdifun ;W UK*AY-bbgu9[-h9 3583459034766

Hey Jesse! Thanks! I put to use some of your good suggestions along with some of the other suggestions made here.  I think it improved the track and posted the result above. I really do appreciate all the excellent tips everyone shared here. 

Dean

20 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

Very nice overall. I always listen for accompaniment bits so I really liked the little piano and organ riffs in there.
Did you post in the old Cakewalk forum? Seems like I recall a FreeEarCandy from somewhere.
-Bjorn

Hello Bjorn! Thanks! Yes, I'm the same FreeEarCandy from the "Old Cakewalk Forum". I remember you too. I see Wookie is here too.  Good to see ya here, Bjorn. Its been awhile.  Looking forward to hearing what you have been doing musically lately as time allows.  

Dean

17 hours ago, noynekker said:

Hey ! FreeEarCandy . . . well, since it's free, may as well go and enjoy it . . . and I did very much ! Thanks for posting here, I can only pay with my compliments.

Very well done !

Hello Noynekker! Free Indeed ! So glad you liked the track. 

Dean

3 hours ago, AndyB01 said:

Hmm enjoyed this - the blend between the lead and BGV is very well done as others have said - bit of a Chris Rea vibe I thought (which is definitely a big plus for me).

Nice work.

Andy

Hey Andy! Thank for the nice complement,  my friend! 

Dean