Ability to scan single plug-ins

Jeremy Jensen

For example, I don't have the option set to "scan existing plugins", but it still takes a good 10 minutes to do a scan. It would be awesome, if possible, if I could just find the new plugin and have it just scan and add the new plugin that would be superb.

Not intending to rob this thread but - How about being able to scan by directory path? My set-up currently has about 8 different Plug-in paths. If I want to trouble shoot a specific instruments plugs ( for example ) then I need to fully scan over 700 plugs just to test one particular path.

Edited by RBH

It is possible with a little registry work to scan as many or as few plug-ins as one wishes as long as the plug-ins are native VST2/3 plug-ins. It may not be possible with plug-ins like the ones from Waves because of the way they are implemented and copy protected. There is no way to avoid scanning all Waves plug-ins when the license count or plug-in shell changes.

It is just a matter of editing the scan path and VST Inventory areas of the registry and merging the new data with the original entries.

On 8/3/2019 at 4:34 PM, scook said:

It is possible with a little registry work to scan as many or as few plug-ins as one wishes as long as the plug-ins are native VST2/3 plug-ins. It may not be possible with plug-ins like the ones from Waves because of the way they are implemented and copy protected. There is no way to avoid scanning all Waves plug-ins when the license count or plug-in shell changes.

It is just a matter of editing the scan path and VST Inventory areas of the registry and merging the new data with the original entries.

@scook   But not everyone is comfortable performing registry hacks and would rather not risk accidentally damaging the operating system registry. 

One workaround maybe to use print screen to take a screen shot of the paths the program follows to scan for VSTs and then remove all paths except for one.  Perform a manual scan and see if there is an issue, if not then replace that path with another and test again.  Continue testing until trouble is encountered then eliminate the VSTs one by one.

2 minutes ago, fogle622 said:

One workaround maybe to use print screen to take a screen shot of the paths the program follows to scan for VSTs and then remove all paths except for one

Removing paths before running a scan causes the plug-ins that are no longer in the scan path to be removed from the registry. The paths will be re-scanned when they are added back. The only way I know to avoid the re-scan requires manipulating the registry.