Shape of Things To Come (Collab with Mark Alan Skinner)

noynekker

Happy New Year Cakewalkers ! . . . here's a new original,  and it got way more than "With a Little Help from my Friends" . . . fellow forum member Mark Alan Skinner, who modestly claims to just play second fiddle on this one :), but the acoustic guitars, harmony vocals, some lyrics, and that amazing Cello creation are all him ! I really enjoyed working on this with Mark, hope you enjoy listening.

• Like 6

Great track you guys - excellent and words are very on point - and as you say that Cello is superb

And It's strange, I'm just finishing writing a track with a similar message!!!! Must have been the last few years we have all just been through - but here's looking to a MUCH better 2023!!

Cool stuff

Nigel

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

Great track you guys - excellent and words are very on point - and as you say that Cello is superb

And It's strange, I'm just finishing writing a track with a similar message!!!! Must have been the last few years we have all just been through - but here's looking to a MUCH better 2023!!

Cool stuff

Nigel

Thank you so much for having a listen Nigel, and I'm all in for a better 2023 !

5 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

Simply outstanding. Fantastic mix with the many elements blending and standing out. Vocals are as good as the lyrics, which are great, aren't they?!?!? Loved it. Everything shines.

cheers,

-Tom

Glad you liked it Tom, and always good to know the mix translates to other ears . . . thanks you so much !

34 minutes ago, Tim Smith said:

Excerllent vocals and placement in mix/song. Acoustics are warm with not too much bite. I think they sit well. Do you have the lyrics somewhere I can see all of it?

Great work guys!

Hi Tim, thanks for listening, Mark really knows how to capture his guitars in his recordings, sure makes the mixing easier . . .

(the lyrics are posted on the SC page, but I guess you don't see them from the internal links here)

Bruce , I found this to be a Hard song for me to mix and master ..  I think You did a Superb job of it !  On the other hand , it was an Easy song for me to embellish playing against your  wonderful vocals and writing skills.   I thoroughly enjoyed working on another collaboration with you.   I hope it's the shape of things to come.             Sincerely ..  mark

Edited by mark skinner
  • Like 1

The vocals and doubling (i think I heard doubling) are wonderful. Lyrics too! Mix is solid.  The melody is catchy and pulls one in easy. The only thing I can perhaps offer as constructive critic is there seems to be a lot of tension between the piano and guitar, as they are both following each other really close in some areas, which comes across to me as too much competition between the 2 and a sense of being too busy and less open. Seems I am looking for more contrast between the 2 or areas where other things can bleed through. Nevertheless, this is a good song indeed. Lots of emotion and feeling behind it, and for me that goes a long way on the path to a good song.  Congratulations to all involved.  Much enjoyed hearing this. 

Dean

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FreeEarCandy said:

The vocals and doubling (i think I heard doubling) are wonderful. Lyrics too! Mix is solid.  The melody is catchy and pulls one in easy. The only thing I can perhaps offer as constructive critic is there seems to be a lot of tension between the piano and guitar, as they are both following each other really close in some areas, which comes across to me as too much competition between the 2 and a sense of being too busy and less open. Seems I am looking for more contrast between the 2 or areas where other things can bleed through. Nevertheless, this is a good song indeed. Lots of emotion and feeling behind it, and for me that goes a long way on the path to a good song.  Congratulations to all involved.  Much enjoyed hearing this. 

Dean

Hi Dean . . . thank you for your ideas ! The piano part was mostly mixed to help define the chord changes and tonality, especially in the bridge modulation section, and agreed there are places where it could be mixed back to bring the guitar to more prominence. Glad you picked up on the emotion, sometimes you never know how that will come across . . . thank you for lending your ears !

• Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 7:26 AM, Supa Reels said:

Great vocal and lyrics .. I can see how this would difficult to mix with out overdoing the emotion .. well done ...you nailed it

Steve

Thanks for your comment Steve ! . . . actually, my main mix challenge here was no drum kit, I usually have a drum kit, but it was not suggested here, trying to get it sounding loud enough on a streaming platform without squashing the natural acoustics of it all.

• Great Idea 1

eye M so pleezzed to wall into this

what is the guitar

the arp is nice

hide it all away

the children

nice cello   whs is it

me likey

battles that can't be wobn

victory

tomorrow

you and ne

a little long

1:50 very nice maybe get thert sooner

need some bg

i hear some glithches

most wont

I love this

thank you

4 hours ago, Jesse Screed said:

eye M so pleezzed to wall into this

what is the guitar

the arp is nice

hide it all away

the children

nice cello   whs is it

me likey

battles that can't be wobn

victory

tomorrow

you and ne

a little long

1:50 very nice maybe get thert sooner

need some bg

i hear some glithches

most wont

I love this

thank you

Jesse . . . thanks for having a listen, Lol, even your reviews are experimental, keep on rocking in the free world !

• Great Idea 1