New Year’s resolutions

Fleer

Same as last year: 3840 x 2160 ;)

Seriously though, here's my new year's resolutions:

1. Finish some songs
  2. Learn to use the plugins and VIs I have instead of hoarding new ones
  3. Failing that, buy only stuff that is on my shopping list
  4. Failing that, buy more plugins and VIs only if I honestly think the ones I have are not good enough
  5. Failing that, at least avoid buying stuff on a whim
  6. Failing that, at least make sure the deals are absolute no-brainers
  7. Faling that, at least wait until Black Friday to make the big purchases
  8. Failing that, at least try to stay within budget
  9. Failing that, make a resolution to do better next year
  10. Profit!

For realsies, numbers 1 & 2 are what I'm honest to God aiming for. All this plugin shopping and researching is starting to feel like the distraction it is.

• Like 5
  • Great Idea 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, pseudopop said:

Same as last year: 3840 x 2160 ;)

Seriously though, here's my new year's resolutions:

1. Finish some songs
  2. Learn to use the plugins and VIs I have instead of hoarding new ones
  3. Failing that, buy only stuff that is on my shopping list
  4. Failing that, buy more plugins and VIs only if I honestly think the ones I have are not good enough
  5. Failing that, at least avoid buying stuff on a whim
  6. Failing that, at least make sure the deals are absolute no-brainers
  7. Faling that, at least wait until Black Friday to make the big purchases
  8. Failing that, at least try to stay within budget
  9. Failing that, make a resolution to do better next year
  10. Profit!

For realsies, numbers 1 & 2 are what I'm honest to God aiming for. All this plugin shopping and researching is starting to feel like the distraction it is.

It's good to aim high!  🤣🤣🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Sorry if I'm  too serious. But I do think a lot of us struggle with trying to reign in our GAS and, of course, this isn't a great place to be if you're trying not to buy stuff. 

I think it's rather obvious that a lot of us come here because we love deals  but also due to the camaraderie. I think this is a great group of people. Really positive and encouraging. It's why I come back and I think, from posts and PMs, a lot of others feel the same way. So, I'm just throwing this out there -- maybe no one will agree -- but if anyone does agree, pick it up and run with it, maybe others have additional ideas. I propose that those of us trying to reign in our GAS in 2023 commit to spending time in other parts of the forum, say in a subforum focused on production techniques or sharing songs. Personally, while I spend 99% of my forum time in the Deals forum, when I have a song I want to share, I put it in the Song subforum and while there's not a lot of people there, they are really friendly,  encouraging and helpful. I recommend checking that section out to anyone who hasn't already done so -- and share what you're working on. If you can't finish something, why not share a work in progress to get some feedback and tips from others  who  have been  there? I've seen nothing but helpful feedback and positive remarks in the Songs subforum. And wherever the appropriate subforum is for people to share struggles and tips for finishing songs, I think most of us (including me) should consider that section too. Even if you're not using Cakewalk, that applies to everyone whether you're doing EDM, hip hop, rock, cinematic, R&B, jazz -- whatever. 

Anyhow, @pseudopop while you were being lighthearted, I think you also hit on some common areas that a lot (most?) of us struggle with. This is truly such a nice group of people, I think that's why we all do these off-topic threads in the forum.  

In any event, one more time, thanks to everyone in the group for making this the friendliest music-related forum I know of. I hope everyone has a good time tonight (wait, I realize in some parts of the world New Years has already happened; I have friends in New Zealand and Australia), and that 2023 is far better than any of our expectations. I think the world is due for a great year.

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 6
  • Great Idea 2

When my first YouTube Channel died, I started searching for an idea for a new one.  After three months of false starts,  research,  and preparation, I should have the first video out next week, to kick off the New Year. 

My resolution for 2023 is to try to get 25 videos done for my new channel.  If I do, that means I'll be writing a lot of music.

As I know I will be traveling a lot, I just bought a powerful laptop so I can work anywhere.  It just arrived.  I don't want to let anything hold me back.

That's 2023 for me, I hope. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

When my first YouTube Channel died, I started searching for an idea for a new one.  After three months of false starts,  research,  and preparation, I should have the first video out next week, to kick off the New Year. 

My resolution for 2023 is to try to get 25 videos done for my new channel.  If I do, that means I'll be writing a lot of music.

As I know I will be traveling a lot, I just bought a powerful laptop so I can work anywhere.  It just arrived.  I don't want to let anything hold me back.

That's 2023 for me, I hope. 

Sounds like a good plan!

• Like 3

2022 is hands down the year I’ve invested in the most plugins. Purchased a Waves bundle and then purchased all the PA plugins, not to mention Reason extensions, Plugin Boutique, Audio Plugin Deals, Audio Deluxe, SSL, Melda, Arturia, etc etc.

Plain and simple… My resolution is to start using what I have and start making and finishing music.

No more excuses for me :)

• Like 8
  • Great Idea 1

15 hours ago, paulo said:

I've decided that I need to stop procrastinating.

Tomorrow seems like a good time to start that.

Exact same for me, procrastination is a killer.

I was a bit slow on projects in 2022. I want to up my game in 2023, easier said than done, but lets all try start something today on the 1st day of the new year!

Edited by Mark Stow
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Happy new year, everyone. I was the first one up at my house and doing a little reading and came across this article I shared to my Facebook friends and thought I'd share it here.  I'm going to give this a try. In short, only around 9% of people who make new year resolutions say they accomplish them, but this author has a very  interesting -- and simple -- alternative that may be more effective. A brief except on what the letter should cover: 

"Your letter should talk about the year you want to have ahead. Simon says the letter should answer five questions:

What are the fears you plan to tackle, those things you believe are holding you back?

What are adventures you will embrace in the year to come?

How will you connect or reconnect with others in your life?

How will you plan to grow?

What can you do to serve others?"

https://www.fastcompany.com/90824133/forget-resolutions-write-new-year-letter?utm_source=newsletters&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=FastCompanyTop10-Dec 31, 2022&leadId=1328687&mkt_tok=NjEwLUxFRS04NzIAAAGJDJOd6a3zFYGK6RBW5MTWjm2cGen3NTkyjIZJs922-gt1go_TZLBbkHGJ1hiaheZuF-zeVqTvstKxYH20035ih5hfbiQsN5jyxzjr6N7s

• Like 2

1. Keep the spending to a minimum. Even if that means spending less time in this forum. Sorry.

2. Getting in better shape. This is luckily relatively easy for me. Had a minor setback with corona recently, but I have an easily changeable body type. Fat flies of me, muscle grows very fast. The downside is that I also swing very fast to the other side. And I'm just a bit too much on that side now.

3. Releasing some music.

4. Setting up a live act (bedroom style, I'm not a stage guy).

5. Making beats and selling them.

6. Setting up a YouTube channel for 3, 4 and 5.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 2