Everyone's Going To Die

whoisp

I really had a scream in my vocal booth to really test it, this song was about testing, only spent a week on it, few hrs a day. I also had a play with XLN Audio addictive keys which i got free and its very good tone with lots of flexibility.  First time i play my Jazz box for a couple of years, not really the right song for it, but it has a  lovely tone.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I can sort of hear what KS is talking about but when it all kicks in (pun in ten dead ;) ) to these furry ear the drums get swamped.

Personally, to these furry ears, the mix still needs a little work there is probably a good song trying to be heard. 

I will keep the furry things on the look for a remix if you do one.  

23 hours ago, Supa Reels said:

Excellent vocal ''for me a tad overdone on the reverb .. but I needed to listen twice as I'm kind of odds at my comment on reverb ... great bito' work

Steve

Give it some C_verb haha  the Chorus i went big on compression and verb about 30db  and sunk back 24db in the verse so it open up in chorus. Just was testing a things. There is a female vocalist which with do the vocals and probably change the lyrics... However they like the chorus and might do a vocal collaboration, i just put the idea down  for the vocalist to work with....

Funny thing is they had a copy without my vocal and did not listen to my vocal, so i didn't influence her writing.  She actually had a different melody, very soft, sort of spoken with a bit more singing in chorus. She then listen to what i had in mind and now had a rethink. So i will see what happens. We are working at distance and i really need to get in the studio with her, she trying to hard to impress i think and over thinking. Sometimes it is so much better to be there and help   

• Like 1

You are so right about the hang ups of working apart, There is a muso over the pond and one in France I've tried a collab with but it's slow and unproductive ( I'm UK ) ...yep it works I know ( you only have to listen to Bapu's ex stuff to know that !) .

Sometimes someone else has a take on lyrics that can be better that what you initially were thinking and the whole song takes a different turn .... I think if she has not been in a studio it might be better to chat over a cuppa ... studios can be daunting even smaller ones like mine ... look forward to the result ,

Good luck

Steve

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Supa Reels said:

You are so right about the hang ups of working apart, There is a muso over the pond and one in France I've tried a collab with but it's slow and unproductive ( I'm UK ) ...yep it works I know ( you only have to listen to Bapu's ex stuff to know that !) .

Sometimes someone else has a take on lyrics that can be better that what you initially were thinking and the whole song takes a different turn .... I think if she has not been in a studio it might be better to chat over a cuppa ... studios can be daunting even smaller ones like mine ... look forward to the result ,

Good luck

Steve

She works with a small studio that  a woman (Sax Player) which runs it.  She as access to a large studio with drums, and a selection of musicians, some coudl session for anyone but they constantly lack ideas.   She lives out in the sticks in Cornwall about 1hr from me in  Devon (Plymouth) The young vocalist only works with my friend thats shes trying to influence and my friend got a totally different vibe to me with music. So when i sent her the track she didn't know what to do and i was their to say anything, its not really my style but she wanted a vampire vibe and that's what i did for a quick demo whilst testing some gear out. The problem is i don't know her vibe, spoken to her today for first time and she wants to go more EDM with a twist so that will be my next track. 

I only have a small home studio (Few Guitars, bass and keys) with a vocal booth i built but not really had chance to test stuff because mum is in hospital, so been run off my feet, so bang those vocals out in 30mins and probably better than 70% i do in that irony. 

i mainly just write, produce, just get creative and have fun. You know what its like, a good tune is a gold, no matter if the mix and mastering only 5 out of 10 gold is gold even with shxt on it. However, you can polish shxt 10 out of 10 mix and mastering but its still shxt if you know what i mean, so i try not to waste too much time these days. Yes we learn from doing  complicated scales or key changes, clever progressions or think your being clever with run downs  etc but unless necessary they don't make a good song, its normally simple. Play the first few bars of Billy Jean and you just vibe, that's gold on a pot and pan . 

2 hours ago, whoisp said:

to muddy ? 

Hard to tell without getting in there, but here are some things I think would be good to address.

1 - Drums sound like there might be too much compression and lack clarity... maybe too much reverb or reverb not tailored to the drums

2 - The bass sometimes fights the kick drum (although this may be writing and not mixing)  This makes it hard to drive the song forward.

3 - Piano might need a little high end boost or lower range rolloff.

4 - The guitars might be washing out the other parts a little - I am listening with headphones and the panning may be too much.

When the guitars go away, a lot of the issues go away.

5 - Overall I think there might be too much reverb.

6 - The vocals are slightly overpowered by the instruments and again may need less reverb.

Don't take it the wrong way - These are only my thoughts and who knows whether I am right or not! I am being overly critical but wanted to give you real feedback.

Steve

57 minutes ago, steve@baselines.com said:

Hard to tell without getting in there, but here are some things I think would be good to address.

1 - Drums sound like there might be too much compression and lack clarity... maybe too much reverb or reverb not tailored to the drums

2 - The bass sometimes fights the kick drum (although this may be writing and not mixing)  This makes it hard to drive the song forward.

3 - Piano might need a little high end boost or lower range rolloff.

4 - The guitars might be washing out the other parts a little - I am listening with headphones and the panning may be too much.

When the guitars go away, a lot of the issues go away.

5 - Overall I think there might be too much reverb.

6 - The vocals are slightly overpowered by the instruments and again may need less reverb.

Don't take it the wrong way - These are only my thoughts and who knows whether I am right or not! I am being overly critical but wanted to give you real feedback.

Steve

Its a demo for a lady singer, depending on her vocal will depend on what i do with it. 

I tend to no waste too much time unless i think its worth it. You can polish shxt but its still shxt, but gold is gold even with a bit of shxt on it... 

12 hours ago, Jesse Screed said:

personally,  a little thick

I might pull back some of the saturation

knock on heavens door

right?

you have a wonderful piece here, I love the fade out

It's funny you say knock on heavens door, the chords are broken but the same type of progression in places. I never play covers and it wasn't until my friend said, after i wrote the second verse i noticed that's where the melody was starting to go.  I am waiting for the Female vocalist to send over her vocal's to she what she does, iv'e been testing gear and updating templates etc, so didn't spend enough time on it.