TV as Monitor? (not a deal - yet)

mibby

Thanks for all of the input guys!  I ended up springing for a 48'' LG UHD OLED monitor on a huge sale at lg.com and rationalized that this is one purchase I don't want to and probably won't be able to make again. Once I get my studio all put together I'll figure out if it was the right choice.  🙃

Edited by mibby
  • Like 4
  • Great Idea 1

2 minutes ago, mibby said:

Thanks for all of the input guys!  I ended up springing for a 48'' LG UHD OLED monitor on a huge sale at lg.com and rationalized that this is one purchase I don't want to and probably won't be able to make again. Once I get my studio all put together I'll figure out if it was the right choice.  🙃

Congrats. About the same size as mine. You'll love it!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mibby said:

Congratulations; I'm sure you'll love it. When it's all set up, do feel free to make us jealous with some pics if you're up for sharing!

• Like 1

Very interesting 🧐 

We we’re able to pick up a Samsung 50” 4K UHD television for Christmas and it is amazing. We had been using a 42” Samsung 3D TV for years. It is still 1080p but since it is a 3D television, it has a 120hz refresh rate. It is one of the Samsung models that required the 3D LCD shutter glasses to work.

I moved it into the studio to see how it would work. It is Huge compared to the smaller monitor I had there before. I need to get it back more on the wall to make sure I can handle it being so close and so HUGE 😂I still have the mounting arm attached to the wal so once I remove that I can get a better idea.

Did I mention, this is a HUGE difference, but cool that you can really see what’s going on.

Joyfully!

Simeon

E3307-C9-A-D643-4-D25-8-A4-E-2-E2-F707-F

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I thought this was a good in-depth on the difference between a monitor and a TV. The text smoothing part of the video is the most interesting and can have some effect for a DAW. Not much maybe, but still worth considering. He also goes into what settings to change on the TV for optimal results, a step not to skip if you get a TV for your DAW.

• Thanks 3

On 12/30/2022 at 4:11 PM, mibby said:

Is anyone using a TV as a monitor?

Any Pros/Cons in doing so? 

Is a particular type or size better - or should I just stick with a PC Monitor and upgrade that?

I use an older Sharp - AQUOS 46" that we had  in our living room until we got a newer one in there.  I also have 2 dell 24 inch monitors underneath the tv so I can so I can look at my console view and track view in 2 seperate windows by themselves.

Any Pros/Cons in doing so?  - Nope,  just do what make you enjoy creating or mixing music.  

Edited by jesse g
  • Like 1