Default track names when tracks are reordered

norfolkmastering

First thing I do when inserting a new track is to rename it. My memory just isn't reliable enough not to.

Given your handle, I'm guessing the question may be in the context of mastering. There, I can see the value of using numbered track names and why it would be inconvenient if you re-order the tracks on an album. But I can't imagine a better default naming convention. Adding the number assures that each default name is unique, which is more important than any implied meaning of that number.

i use "I" + ## + "short track type name" + # and "Z" + ## + "short track type name" + # for MIDI. then i can use the sorting function on tracks and all audio are upfront and all MIDI in the back... i leave a gap on the ## of 5 so i can insert additional tracks of the type: e.g. I20 BASS1, I21 BASS2, I25 AGUITAR1, I26 AGUITAR2 etc. if i need another bass, i insert a track (likely a corresponding MIDI if using VI) like I22 BASS3, etc and if the ordering gets skewed during the mapping of imported tracks etc, a quick sort puts them all in order (and they get colourised when i assign them to a buss).

since most of my projects are less than 30 tracks this works + room for more. if i went to say 500 tracks regularly (e.g. each string on each instrument on a separate track like in the 90's LOL), then i'd have to improve the numbers to ### 🙂 

Edited by Glenn Stanton