Lookout

Tim Smith

That was a nice earful of well matched tones! Your guitar tones were very meaty yet clear in the mix. Maybe the drum programming could offer up a bit more variation or fills as you go, and I did get the feeling in spots like in the 1:30's that you might tighten up some of the rhythmic guitar chuggas in sync with bass and drums. It's a super ambitious rhythmic challenge but you could just edit it into submission, methinks. And totally worth it. Like the super awesome rhythmic tightness around 3:18!!!

I liked the fade in, I knew this thing meant business. Well done!

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1

Tim, I never knew you were into this style, but lately the songs of yours I have listened to are edgy.  I felt that around 1:24 it kind of got wobbly, but then it worked itself out.

Is that you on the chunky guitar or is that a vsti, either way it is nice sound.  After reading the other comments I suppose you could turn up the drums, but that shows how we are subject to iothers opinions.

I enjoyed it!

On 12/26/2022 at 10:44 PM, PhonoBrainer said:

That was a nice earful of well matched tones! Your guitar tones were very meaty yet clear in the mix. Maybe the drum programming could offer up a bit more variation or fills as you go, and I did get the feeling in spots like in the 1:30's that you might tighten up some of the rhythmic guitar chuggas in sync with bass and drums. It's a super ambitious rhythmic challenge but you could just edit it into submission, methinks. And totally worth it. Like the super awesome rhythmic tightness around 3:18!!!

I liked the fade in, I knew this thing meant business. Well done!

cheers,

-Tom

I hear ya on this. I heard it in the release and wasn't sure how noticeable it would be. Thanks for your input.

On 12/27/2022 at 10:56 AM, KSband said:

Cool rocking song. The drums are very quiet and the bass is pretty low too, it takes some of the rocking punch out of it.

Any suggestions on what you might do to the bass?

On 12/30/2022 at 9:35 AM, Bajan Blue said:

Hi Tim - this is a good track - agree about the drums - apart from that I like it

Cool

Nigel

Thanks Nigel. I guess I should revisit the drums.

On 12/31/2022 at 7:21 AM, Wookiee said:

Seems the consensus is the drums need some finessing which I agree with.  Good stuff though Tim. 

Thank you Wookie!

On 12/31/2022 at 10:27 AM, Jesse Screed said:

Tim, I never knew you were into this style, but lately the songs of yours I have listened to are edgy.  I felt that around 1:24 it kind of got wobbly, but then it worked itself out.

Is that you on the chunky guitar or is that a vsti, either way it is nice sound.  After reading the other comments I suppose you could turn up the drums, but that shows how we are subject to iothers opinions.

I enjoyed it!

Jesse I'm all over the map lol.

The solo was like you say kind of wobbley. No quantize and I guess it shows. Drifts back into place eventually. Thanks for listening and comments all.

Loving it Tim, we can only keep plugging away has we are always learning.   In each song, try to learn something new is what i always do. Test something, like don't be scared to get that drum midi score open, and on that bass run down on each bass note hit a crash and a kick bang banb bang ... bbbang.. or on those big notes a big smash or little roll build up to that big note. Don't be scare to deleted 4 bars of drum or just take the kick and snare out but double up on cymbals or hihat, give it a try because it will then trigger you with more ideas, you will start to be more dynamic with the drums is what people are highlighting.  Quantize is not always the best solution...