Melodyne region FX doesn't advance

charles kasler

update - both good tips! Still getting used to region fx, I had an old standalone Melodyne I used to use. This one crashes sometimes, not sure if it's something I do wrong? My old version didn't have the macro to make notes quieter or louder. Is this the best place to do that, as opposed to after i apply the changes & do it back in CbB? 

Great! 

Crashes: I had this problem before, but Celemony's team solved it in newer versions. At this time, using latest CW version+latest Melodyne version, everything is working fine. May be you can contact Celemony's support about this. Even better if you send them a crash log (minidump), if you are familiar with the process of getting it. If not, check this: 

Macro: Not sure what you are intending to do. If it is leveling the notes (volume wise), there are several ways to do it (compressors; changing the clip volume; using volume envelopes, etc), and of course adjusting the blops levels one by one inside Melodyne. I use the later to fine tune details, not the overall volume of the vocal track. I find best to use a compressor on the whole vocal track, and adjust details inside Melodyne, but this is just my preference.

I do like using the quieter/louder macro. I use melodyne for instruments like bass guitar and electric guitar, piano, etc sometimes synths ( its surprising how often they are not perfectly tuned)  as well as vocals. I use the macro to level out say a bass track’s  consistency, I don’t think I ever used it on lead vocals, there I would work on blobs, but have macroed on backing vocals.  Envelopes would be my next choice for this and compression my least used. Just try different methods and see what you like best. 

• Like 2