Stealth MIDI data

Starship Krupa

The amazing invisible MIDI track: it plays back but you can't see the data in it. Therefore can't perform any editing tasks....

I got a piano chord change in my head, so loaded up my basic "piano song" template, set the tempo, record armed the MIDI track (not the synth track) set the record mode to Step, played a two-handed chord and....

Heard the chord sound, but didn't see the expected notez appear in the track. Stopped and hit play. Hmm. Expected chord makes sound.

Opened Piano Roll. Nothing. Opened the take lane. Nothing.

Set Now Time to start of measure 2, re-arm, strike chord #2. Sound again, no visual data. Play it back, sounds fine again. Same deal. Nothing in the lanes, nothing in PRV.

Closed project.

Opened new project, tried again, and hey! Everything works as expected.

Just posting this to share the wonder, and in case anyone else ever sees something like it.

Step Record mode probably hasn't had a developer's attention since the GUI was created for it at the dawn of the Windows era. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that it has some bugs related to generating all the necessary properties of a MIDI clip object as it is now defined for it to be displayed correctly.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, David Baay said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that it has some bugs related to generating all the necessary properties of a MIDI clip object as it is now defined for it to be displayed correctly.

The logic of it must be....interesting. I would think that it would work like "there's MIDI data in this track, let's display it" rather than depending on something happening during the initial recording process. I should check Event Viewer and see what's in there.

I whaled on it some more while watching House M.D. on my second monitor for diagnostic inspiration.

So far, I can only get it to misbehave if the data is the first thing recorded (if I first enter things in the PRV it works fine), and so far with one particular instrument, Meldway Grand in MSoundFactory. Meldway Grand is a 60GB library, so maybe there's something about memory going on.

I'd upload the template, but it requires owning at least MSoundFactoryLE with Meldway Grand installed.

Just an odd glitch, I think, and not one that many are likely to stumble upon.

14 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

So far, I can only get it to misbehave if the data is the first thing recorded (if I first enter things in the PRV it works fine)

That seems in agreement with my hypothesis that it's about defining the clip properties - the container for the event data. If the object already exists, Step Recorder can successfully add data to it, but it can't properly create the object from scratch.  I'd be interested to see what happens when you try to Step Record data starting more than a measure past where the existing clip ends which would create a new clip object in the PRV.