How to achieve this synth horn sound...

congalocke

@ 26:20-ish in the video Mixing Hip Hop With Marc Daniel Nelson is some synth horns that I was hoping someone here might know where it's from or how to make it.

(Plus it's great time with an exceptionally talented audio engineer.) I heard a similar sound on the DS Thorn synth available from Plugin Alliance but... 

Thx! 

If he doesn't mention in the video what synth he is using and you really want that specific sound is, you could contact him. To my ear it sounds like many other synth brass sounds but with a bit of simulated breathiness; perhaps a synth brass ensemble sort of sound?

Edited by User 905133
to take a stab [pun intended] at what sort of patch it might be
  • Like 1

I think Marc Daniel Nelson just mixed the tracks and didn't come up with the sounds.

I'm working on connecting with "Underbelly", (You Suck At Producing YT Channel?) when he's figuring out sounds for people but have barely missed him twice so far and I'm just being proactive in trying to source others who might have some ideas.

The simulated breathiness is good and I will have to figure out how to add that. Today I put down the melody using horns from the Korg Triton and will then started adding things to figure it out so if you have a "breathy" vst idea let me know. Will work with some phase distortion and keep hunting till I find some ingredients that work.

Thanks for chiming in! 😉