[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2019.07 Early Access 1

Jesse Jost

The EAP is not for everyone.

If one has to rollback due to unexpected problems, uninstalling and reinstalling CbB using BA takes a couple of minutes with a decent connection. Still, it may be more than some want to deal with and that is understandable.

The good news is once an early release is announced, the production release should happen soon after.

That said, I like peeking into the future.

• Like 3

@Keni there is no need to roll back to install the early access since it updates the 05 release directly. The only mention of rollback was to inform people if they wanted to go back to 05 afterwards for some reason. Going to the final release from early access should be seamless. The only small downside is it will auto download the full installer.

This is very stable at this point so it should be very unlikely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

Keen to give this a go when I get a free moment.

Your going to like it LT. I've been giving it a good workout since I d/l it and I am surprised. Really. Working with clips in take lanes works as expected!!! After you get the clips arranged like you want, switch to comp tool and go to town!! No more clips jumping all around. Then after you get it comped, flatten it and it's a wrap! With these improvements I would say that CbB has the best comping system/features in the business.

Haven't gotten to work with the envelopes yet. But I am very happy with what I am seeing.  : )

Good work Dev Team.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, msmcleod said:

I've just spent the last hour messing around with various settings.

One post on the Avid forum suggested it was Intel Turbo Boost causing it, but disabling it in the BIOS makes no difference for me.

I can usually make this happen reliably by quickly stopping/starting the transport repeatedly. It'll happen around 1 out of 5 times doing this when my usual ASIO buffer setting of 64. When it's set to 32, I get it 2 out of 3 times. Obviously in normal use, it's a lot less frequent than this - I quite often use a buffer setting of 32 for recording piano, and I can go several hours with it happening only once or twice in normal use.

However, I failed to get the motor-boating with a buffer of 128 or higher.

So I think the answer is to use a larger ASIO buffer, and if necessary use the PDC button when tracking. If you really need to use a lower buffer, then just accept the buzz might come along now and again.

[Edit] - It's worth mentioning I've only ever heard of this happening with the Scarlett interfaces. I certainly don't get this with any of my other interfaces.

Thanks Mark that really looks like there is some bad state management in the driver itself. When you stop and start the transport cbb goes through and starts and stops the driver. I've seen cases in the past where some drivers don't properly handle fast transitions and are likely failing one of the state transitions. I'll see if I can repro it with your recipe with the 6i6

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Grem said:

Your going to like it LT. I've been giving it a good workout since I d/l it and I am surprised. Really. Working with clips in take lanes works as expected!!! After you get the clips arranged like you want, switch to comp tool and go to town!! No more clips jumping all around. Then after you get it comped, flatten it and it's a wrap! With these improvements I would say that CbB has the best comping system/features in the business.

Haven't gotten to work with the envelopes yet. But I am very happy with what I am seeing.  : )

Good work Dev Team.

With this release we focused on allowing lanes to be used as an arrangement tool in addition to comping. Ideally I think the feature could be called something like "track lanes" as opposed to take lanes now, since its not restricted to the recording workflow. You are free to use lanes as a scratchpad for different variations of track ideas whether they come from actual recorded takes or from  other sources (clips in project, imported files etc). With the enhanced drag and drop and copy paste functionality all operations are now fully integrated with lanes so should work seamlessly. When dragging in other data you can choose to disable the comping features and arrange the clips in any manner before you decide to start the comping process. 

You can also choose to layer and have audio clips in lanes sound simultaneously if that's what you want in this workflow. In fact for those who used the old pre-X series layers, you should now be able to do all of that and more by using the tools appropriately.

There are also big improvements to automation lanes and clip envelopes when doing copy paste between tracks or lanes that should make editing with automation lanes a smoother experience.

Additionally thanks to a report from one of our users, we fixed a longstanding issue with recording in take lanes that would end up with incorrectly cropped clips in lower lanes. Overall we hope you will find arrangement and comping in tracks to be a much more enjoyable and intuitive experience in this update.

Let us know if you see any issues.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@Keni there is no need to roll back to install the early access since it updates the 05 release directly. The only mention of rollback was to inform people if they wanted to go back to 05 afterwards for some reason. Going to the final release from early access should be seamless. The only small downside is it will auto download the full installer.

This is very stable at this point so it should be very unlikely.

Thanks Noel...

What about the versioning? I read that it does not adjust/update with the early release and if one continues to do the early release, it will never get corrected?

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:
13 hours ago, msmcleod said:

I've just spent the last hour messing around with various settings.

One post on the Avid forum suggested it was Intel Turbo Boost causing it, but disabling it in the BIOS makes no difference for me.

I can usually make this happen reliably by quickly stopping/starting the transport repeatedly. It'll happen around 1 out of 5 times doing this when my usual ASIO buffer setting of 64. When it's set to 32, I get it 2 out of 3 times. Obviously in normal use, it's a lot less frequent than this - I quite often use a buffer setting of 32 for recording piano, and I can go several hours with it happening only once or twice in normal use.

However, I failed to get the motor-boating with a buffer of 128 or higher.

So I think the answer is to use a larger ASIO buffer, and if necessary use the PDC button when tracking. If you really need to use a lower buffer, then just accept the buzz might come along now and again.

[Edit] - It's worth mentioning I've only ever heard of this happening with the Scarlett interfaces. I certainly don't get this with any of my other interfaces.

Thanks Mark and Noel for your info and work. I appreciate that!

FWIW I noticed on page 305 of the Reference Manual about the Audio Engine Button. It says you may have better performance by shutting it off each time you press Play because there's usually some processing that's left over to take care of. I wonder if something goes bad in there from time to time.

After I installed the pre-release and started CbB and it did the scan of plugins (I have it scan on startup) I got this dialog that I haven't seen before

FzhCvx.jpg

Didn't seem to stop it from starting and it only happened that once.  I'm pretty sure I had installed a few new plugins since the last time I ran CbB, so it's most likely related to one of them.  I tried connecting a debugger to it but wasn't able to get anything on the stack traces (my fault most likely I've been changing my Visual Studio settings to load less symbols and may have went too far).  Wish this error was more expansive and listed what returned the improper argument so I'd have a clue as to which plugin was causing the problem.

3 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

I think you misunderstood. An early access build is no different from a normal release other than the fact that it isn't pushed to the entire world via BandLab assistant.
Subsequent updates will work as normal as if you had a prior release.

Thanks again Noel!

That clarrified things much more for me. I've downloaded and will install in moments...

List of fixes is astounding! Great stuff from you and everyone on the team. I can't wait to check it out!

Did the Clip Envelopes editing problem get fixed? 

I've had this problem for some time now.  Every now and the , for no particular reason, clip envelopes will not respond to the smart tool.  I have to add nodes and adjust the envelope up or down.  Typically, restarting the project will fix it but not always.  I brought this up several years ago and I think others were experiencing the same issues.

Thanks.

Paul

1 hour ago, Paul G said:

Did the Clip Envelopes editing problem get fixed? 

I've had this problem for some time now.  Every now and the , for no particular reason, clip envelopes will not respond to the smart tool.  I have to add nodes and adjust the envelope up or down.  Typically, restarting the project will fix it but not always.  I brought this up several years ago and I think others were experiencing the same issues.

Thanks.

Paul

Pretty sure this should be good now. there were a few cases of edit issues with clip envelopes that we fixed. Please check out our and let us know if you still see issues.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

After I installed the pre-release and started CbB and it did the scan of plugins (I have it scan on startup) I got this dialog that I haven't seen before

FzhCvx.jpg

Didn't seem to stop it from starting and it only happened that once.  I'm pretty sure I had installed a few new plugins since the last time I ran CbB, so it's most likely related to one of them.  I tried connecting a debugger to it but wasn't able to get anything on the stack traces (my fault most likely I've been changing my Visual Studio settings to load less symbols and may have went too far).  Wish this error was more expansive and listed what returned the improper argument so I'd have a clue as to which plugin was causing the problem.

Hmm next time your see it please save a dump from task manager so we can see the context. That error typically doesn't come from our code directly but from some UI component in mfc so hard to say what caused it

41 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Pretty sure this should be good now. there were a few cases of edit issues with clip envelopes that we fixed. Please check out our and let us know if you still see issues.

Thanks Noel.  This is good news!

Paul

44 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

[..] about sound on sound recording. Takes are only committed on stopping record so you may not be able to hear the prior loop passes until you stop.

Sorry for butting in but this clarifies something that's always puzzled me. Now it makes sense. Of course. Thanks, Noel. Looking forward to giving the new version a spin soon.