Best one liners in lyrics?

whoisp

On 12/24/2022 at 10:30 PM, bitflipper said:

Just about any lyric Roger Waters ever penned. One of my favorites is...

The paper holds their folded faces to the floor, and every day the paper boy brings more

- Brain Damage, Dark Side of the Moon

If you look at top 10 songer writers Roger is not even in there, Mick Jagger / Keith Richards are number 6 WTF 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, whoisp said:

If you look at top 10 songer writers Roger is not even in there, Mick Jagger / Keith Richards are number 6 WTF 

Tbh, he wouldn't be on my top 10 list of songwriters, either. A songwriter is one who's proficient at every aspect of song creation, from rhythm to melody to arranging and instrumentation. Paul Simon is a songwriter, perhaps the best ever. Billy Joel, Paul McCartney, Smokey Robinson, Randy Newman, Brian Wilson, Freddy Mercury and Dolly Parton are songwriters.

Now, if we're talking top 10 lyricists then Roger would definitely make the list, along with Bernie Taupin, Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell and Jim Morrison. I'd even tack on the somewhat controversial Neil Peart in the honorable mentions.

• Like 1

You've got the nicest North America, this sailor ever saw,
I'd like to feel your warm Brazil and touch your, Panama. - Michael Franks (from Popsicle Toes).

OK it's two lines, but it's perhaps the most clever lyrics to use geography to get your hands on sensual parts of a female's body.

You can squeeze my lemon ’til the juice run down my leg - Robert Johnson

I'm beggin' you baby, cut out that off the wall jive
You gotta treat me better, or it gotta be your funeral and my trial - Sonny Boy Williamson II

I am yours, you are mine, you are what you are, You make it hard - Crosby Stills & Nash (pretty sexy for its day)

I'm glad I don't live in a trailer - Jimmy Buffett

1 minute ago, whoisp said:

Yo, I'll tell you what I want, what I really, really want! a decent vocal strip 🤣

Not a vocal strip, but I had just picked up a TC Helicon Voice One (to go with my Antares AVP-1 - think "Cher" auto-tune!) and was dying to have some fun messing around with vocals on it when I lost everything (in 2009)...  I had already set up patches to make me sound like a variety of voices from Barry White to a little girl with some minor variations that I intended to use to make background (or even choir-like) vocals.  Oh well!  It would have been fun.

• Like 1